Newbie to Forum & Our Trip to Syracuse NY 9/14 to 9/16

Hi All,

Brand new to forum. From Massachusetts & saltwater fishing for Striped Bass & Blue Fish on Cape Cod.

My two brothers & are coming to Syracuse from 9/14 -9/16 to p/u an engine for my 1966 Boston Whaler 13'3" Sport. Would love to fish Lake Ontario or other waters w/in an hour or two so of Syracuse. We've never fished at all in this region & are clueless where to go, what to fish for, & tackle/techniques. Also want to camp as close to water/on the water (but and could some campground referrals). Prefer to get out on the water in our little Boston Whaler & hopefully catch some fish!

We're used to surface casting & trolling at what you'd consider shallow depths for blue fish in the 6-12 lb range & striped bass in the 5lb - 30 lb range. Don't have any downriggers to troll at great depths. Can you help us out? Also would consider hiring a local guide for Saturday & would appreciate some referrals.

Thanks,

ND

Welcome to the board. Don’t know how much luck you’ll have finding a charter with this short notice, but drop King Me a note. (Left hand side) He might be able to put you on to someone with an opening. Lots of high quality charters from Fair Haven, Oswego, Mexico way.

Your time period should put you at the first third of the King Salmon run. Many caught off piers & from shore. Keep a real good eye on the weather especially if you’re serious about a little whaler on the Big-O. Lake Ontario is not the ocean but a even small chop can be a real challenge to the little guy,especially when fighting a 25 Lb'r.

Browse through the site for up to date techniques.

Good Luck

Tom B.

(LongLine)