Flea Flicker line question

I usually run 30lb big game line in the summer due to the fleas. Does anyone use 20lb flea flicker? I would like to run some of my lighter gear for steel head but wondering if the flea flicker line will work. Also wondering if it takes up more spool capacity since the line is shaped differently than mono? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Gambler,

I am looking to spool up my Penn 320's which I usually run lighter line on since they don't hold as much as my convector 45s that I with 30lb big game. I would like to run the Penns with 20lb test as stackers but with the flea I hardly use them in king season anymore.

I use Spro swivels. That will work. None of my fishing Buds use FF line. I just thought I'd give it a shot and put my original gear that i started worth back into use again. Never had a problem with my 320's just can't hold a lot of line and almost got spooled a few times, so they have been relegated to a back up role or in this case Stacker rods. Thanks for the info.

The last couple of years we have switched our rigger rods to wire line and a flouro leader. We attach our release to the flouro. Detecting small fish and hookups are much improved, also the fight with straight wire is awesome.

Sounds crazy!

I used the 20# FF last summer and just ran it straight to the swivel and didn't see a drop in success. I have wondered if I might have caught more with a flouro leader, but most of the time I was running flasher/fly combos and from the dipsy back I use flouro and same with combos off the riggers...I just used flouro from the flasher back. I didn't measure but it didn't seem to take up that much more room on the spool. I realize that might be magnified with a smaller spool though.

On this topic, I am still using my FF line straight to the swivel this spring. We went 15/19 last Saturday so I don't think it made a huge difference but should I consider swapping back to mono or at least using a flouro leader once we start moving deeper as the season progresses? I just don't feel like swapping out the FF just to put it back on mid summer when the fleas get bad.

• 2 weeks later...
Use REALLY good swivels!!!!!! I've lost some flasher-fly combos because I skimped on the swivels and line twist can be realy bad on the FF line.

Good point! On that note, what do you guys suggest for swivels? I have been using the Dreamweaver swivels but I can't seem to find them this year. The Sampo's that were welded that I could find were too small. That got me thinking I should see what other people on here use.

Use REALLY good swivels!!!!!! I've lost some flasher-fly combos because I skimped on the swivels and line twist can be realy bad on the FF line.

I don't think the flea flicker twist any more than the round line. Its just that you can see it. They used to make a revolving spool line in clear 12# test, that worked well with the fleas too. I think its the vibration of the flat line that shakes them off.