Planer mast positioning

I have an 18'Lund Sport Angler. I currently run a Big Jon dual mast out of the forward pedestal. I do have issues on some turns and on windy days (like yesterday) where the planer board line comes back and rubs against the rods that are set out to the side of the boat. I usually just reach out and guide the line until everything straightens out. Well yesterday while navigating some decent waves I look over and one of the rods is gone! I figure the tow line caught a guide and pulled it out when the line surged after the boat went down the wave. We were trolling live bait at 1.5mph and were likely stopped with the big wave which reduced any tension on the rod in the holder (Berts laid out to the side) and out it must have went. We did get lucky and one of our lines got tangled in the rod so we got it back, Whew! I now want to prevent this from happening again. I can mount the mast on the forward deck where the bow light and front trolling motor mount which would raise it about 18" and push it further forward a couple of feet. I'm not sure that would do the trick though, and I hate drilling extra holes in a boat.

I was also toying with an idea I had about mounting a cross pole on the mast which would spread the lines outward before letting them go back. I could probably get a 6' spread off each side which once broken down would just pack away the same length as the mast.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Spike

I had the same thing happen years ago and also got lucky and retrieved the rod. I actually saw it go and stopped the boat. It was calm. Your idea of spreading the pulleys on the mast should help some if you can make it sturdy. I have two masts, one on each side of the boat near the windshield. That keeps them about 8 feet apart. Even with this, though, you still have to be careful. Keeping your mast as far forward and your rods as near the stern as you can will help. I've always thought that "innerline" rods would be best for planer board fishing as there are no eyes but it would be costly to replace all 8 of them.

I can see how the torque on the rod ends would be a bit of a problem. I really don't want to add weight. I am now considering a vertical rod tree. This will allow me to position the rods more upright and still have them pass over/under each other on a hit.

Does anyone know if Trax tech fits in Berts tracks? I like that you can adjust the Trax tech's but maybe it is over kill and the Berts would work fine?

Thought?

Spike

Our 28' boat has a 6' mast at the very front, we use double keeled otter boats, and rods are in trees. Supposedly about the best setup you could ask for........and with the wind yesterday we had the same issues with slack. The trees sure help to keep the rods up and out of the way of the tow line, however. One of those things that is hard to overcome I think.

Our 28' boat has a 6' mast at the very front, we use double keeled otter boats, and rods are in trees. Supposedly about the best setup you could ask for........and with the wind yesterday we had the same issues with slack. The trees sure help to keep the rods up and out of the way of the tow line, however. One of those things that is hard to overcome I think.

I ordered two trees (traxstech). It can't be worse than what I had. I either had to get the tow line up or the rods up. Seems with any slack tow lines they are coming down npo matter how high they are. At least with the tree I can have three rods off one side with each one higher than the other lines should clear fine. I may need to adjust a slight angle to each rod so when they fire they aren't in line with another rod running down the length of the boat. Now that I think of it is probably only a problem with the middle rod? Anyay once I get the tree I can mimic the senario at home and see if anything needs to be adjusted. I think it is a step in the right direction.

I'll let you know.

Spike

Ugghhhh back ordered 2 -3 weeks.......Wont be much past that we wont be using planer boards here. Was planning a trip to Lake O in two weeks........Sometimes nothing goes right.........Are the traxstech worth waiting for or should I look at other brands?

We have no place local to look at the quality of other units so I just have searching and word of users to go by.

Thanks,

Spike

Great Lakes Planers makes a quality product. I can't guarantee their delivery time but are definitely worth looking in to. I personally have the Michigan Stinger triple rod trees(won as a door prize) which I'm happy with, but they lack the adjustability of the GLP'S . They can double as a net holder which is a bonus and if I'm not mistaken can also be ordered with the traxstech base.

[ Post made via iPod ] iPod.png

All of our equipment is Big Jon. It works great. Its made in USA. However, I am less than thrilled with the trees as they are loosely fitted to their bases, and flop around quite a bit. And they are not worn, been like that since new. Great Lakes planers makes some nice equipment, and was more affordable than Traxtech when I was looking.

Spike I had the same problem on my 19' lund. Tapped 4 holes in the trolling motor mount (easy to remove) mounted mast forward and higher. Helped a ton with the amount of slack and board stall. In my rod holders I dropped in 1 1/2 dowels. The front one is 2 1/2" tall and the second is 1" tall my thirdholder I just lean out 1click and I haven't had any problems with lines hanging up on each other. The Bert's and traxstech stuff is interchangeable. Good luck. Mark

Spike I had the same problem on my 19' lund. Tapped 4 holes in the trolling motor mount (easy to remove) mounted mast forward and higher. Helped a ton with the amount of slack and board stall. In my rod holders I dropped in 1 1/2 dowels. The front one is 2 1/2" tall and the second is 1" tall my thirdholder I just lean out 1click and I haven't had any problems with lines hanging up on each other. The Bert's and traxstech stuff is interchangeable. Good luck. Mark

That is a great idea. To make it even better I could use detent pins so each holder could return to the original height if wanted. I hate modifying coated parts (assuming the berts holders have some sort of protection on them) but in this case it may just be worth it.

Thanks for the idea.

Good to know the mast move was an improvement. Simple enough to try out. I may mount the original base to a piece of wood and just use a couple c-clamps to hold it to the board the motor mounts to to try it out. If it works good I have no problem permanently mounting it there.

Spike

i to have the same problem on my 19 ft boat. i raised the mast but it didn't help.it only happens to your forward rods. i was thinking about attaching a safety cord to that rod.one that could be easly detached.this will probably let me relax and not worry about a lost rod.

You can buy rod tethers that go around your reels and attach to the base of your rod holders so they can't slip out if the tow line grabs an eye. I have a low slung ranger walleye boat and I had a my big jon mast custom made so it's about 9 ft long so it sits higher off the water, the higher and more toward the bow the better I sure don't want to loose a rod and reel either, you just have to watch your turns and have an AP making turns at 10 degrees at time helps.

You don't want slack in the tow line...........................ever.

I agree with that but at 1.5mph in a good chop it is highly unlikely going into the wind. Maybe on days like that I should just not pull bait.

Spike

I have added a 4 foot piece of bungi cord to my planer boards, this bungi in normal opperation should streach about 12 to 20 inches, when you get the "stuff" going on that takes up alot of the slack problems. In my situation it has fixed about 70% of the problems and every bit makes a big difference in operation.

I bought some heavy stuff (bungi) from McMaster Carr and used hog ring crimps to make the ends up with split rings and downrigger snaps.

I Highly recomend it.

On my 19' carolina skiff (8'beam) I've got two Big Jon masts on the bow platform - about 3" higher than the gunwales, and vertical rod holders near the stern. Since they're about 7' apart and up relatively high, they seem to do really well. Unless I'm fighting four-footers or making quick turns, they seem to keep tension on the lines very well and the tow lines don't get anywhere near my rods.

You can see where they're mounted here:

bubmantrailer.jpg