Conesus Lake Walleye!!!!

Hi guys this is driving me crazy.... I've seen some videos of the walleyes in the inlet and keep saying to myself "I would love to get down there and try for some of those". Can anyone give me some tips on how to catch them? Thanks.

[ Post made via iPod ] iPod.png

I tried last year opening day morning - natta. You will get pike and tiger strikes during day time. Because of the availlable forage fish most successful walleye fisherman fish at night and have the much needed experience. Walleye in Conesus are usually bigger and do not have to work very hard for a meal. That means you have to engage them when they are more likely to bite - at night. I haven't been on the water after dark and have very little experience with this lake so far. I personally, would go there more for Bass fishing and if you read other threads, you will see that it is a favorite among pike/musky fisherman too. It is a very nice warm water lake.

Not an experienced Wally guy but I can tell you this, think like a fish!. Weed lines are hugely prominent features on lakes that harbor plenty of bass and pike, so what do the walleyes do? They work the weeds. The bait will be around cover and warmer water, and also the bait will get pushed by current and wind. Put those factors together and you have to concentrate on weedlines, and feeder creeks adjacent to points, rocky structure where the wind pushes the bait to concentrate. Once those spots are located, identify the primary forage of the walleye based on the main baitfish in the lake. From there either jig that walleye holding weedline, creek channel, etc or troll the contours with the worm harness or crankbait setups. If the walleye are fat and lazy go slow and give them a substantial offering to sate the appetite, if they don't hit then give the presentation a burst of speed to trigger an unwilling biter. From what I know, walleye fishermen don't happen overnight but they are generally very good and can catch any other fish no problem. So try, fine tune, rinse and repeat.

All that makes sense on paper, but if you want to catch them out of Conesus, good luck! There is so much bait in there the 'Eyes don't chase too many lures.

Night time in the spring with stick baits is your best bet.

These guys pretty much nailed it. I havent targeted the walleyes in conesus in awhile but the few we have gotten, my father and I were accidents trolling for northerns and tiger muskie. Using inline boards and large stickbaits contouring the deeper edges. When you get one its a bonus fish and the ones we have caught were in the 8 lbs + range.

After you learn the lake a bit try them at night and you should have the best shot at dialing them in a bit. Let us know how you are doing. :yes:

Caught more than my fair share of them. Yes most guys will troll for them but if you know where to find them casting a black/silver or black/gold husky jerk #10 will turn these them. As it gets darker they will go ALOT shallower than you might think. I've caught them in less than 5' but with the weeds this year .... forget it

Hi guys this is driving me crazy.... I've seen some videos of the walleyes in the inlet and keep saying to myself "I would love to get down there and try for some of those". Can anyone give me some tips on how to catch them? Thanks.

[ Post made via iPod ] iPod.png

Walleye always opens 1st Saturday in may. Best time is at evening when other boater are gone cast stick baits toward shore usually works before the weeds go crazy. Most of the time they are stuffed full of alewives. And wont hit anything. There is some biggins in there. I would believe there are some that would break the new york state record in there. And the pike and tiger muskies are biggins also. As per dec netting. If you can find them and make trolling passes close to them toward evening. As the bite may only last for an hour or so then they wont hit anymore.