Engine help

saeva307

Just put the boat in for the season and took it out for a shake down. Everything was going good until I smelled something like exhaust fumes in the engine compartment. So I opened the hatch to check everything and saw some smoke and something like milky oil coming out of the valve cover vent tubes have no idea what could cause this??? Please help!! :(

Its a 305 volvo penta inboard starboard engine. Thanks for the help!!

Pete

2012_04_08_12_01_08_594.jpg

2012_04_08_12_01_14_995.jpg

Dear Saeva, The quantity of white "pancake batter" in your pictures and crank case indicate that you almost surely have a substanial crack/s in the engine block. Definitely have a discussion with the person who "winterized" this engine. Just draining the petcocks w/o unplugging internal sand blocks AND adding antifreeze can lead to only one side of the block cracking also! Blown head gaskets usually show as an engine skip first, but rarely show PANCAKE BATTER in the crankcase. This stuff comes from the crankshaft "whipping large quantities of water and oil together. And this starboard engine may be reverse rotation depending on what transmission is behind it. Sorry to hear your situation.

Respectfully submitted....Ex-Jet Boat Bill

P.S. Check your transmission oil on that engine also! That has an internal trans cooler if it's a Volvo MS4. If the trans. oil has water in it, they missed getting antifreeze pass the cooler! If that is cracked......call your attorney.....

So I talked to the marina and they are saying the rings are stuck and all that "pancake batter" is caused by blow by. I told them I don't think so and they said they will pull it out and take it to an engine shop and see what they say. So we will see what happens hopefully get the boat back in the water soon. Thanks for all the help!

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

The rings are stuck?!?!

What marina do you deal with?

I have never ever heard the "rings are stuck". The oil will not turn white on excessive blowby with clean oil. Water causes that. I learned that with my first trophy I had. Except it was in my outdrive. Had to replace that unit. Good luck and keep us posted please.

Nick

rings are stuck......stuck to WHAT exactly?

did they tell you that you need a new kneuten valve and to add grease to your muffler bearings as well?

Left-handed crescent wrench and a quart of fresh halogen fluid...

Having stuck rings would mean your motor wouldn't turn over. Additionally, that doesn't explain why you are getting water in your oil.

Brian

Not exactly.....

"stuck rings" is a term used when the piston rings are tightly compressed around the piston, rather than expanded against the cylinder wall. It happens quite a bit in small engines. The actual cause is sludge in the piston ring grooves, which grab and hold the rings in. It occurs at initial start-up when the piston is at a smaller diameter, slapping the ring into its groove.

The result is low compression, and excessive oil blow by. It will also spit out of the valve cover breathers as shown in the pictures. It will not be milky though, just oil color......The engine will smoke, and ultimately that cylinder will quit firing. Often, after the engine is warmed up, and started and stopped a few times the rings will "unstick", and she will run as normal.

However, that is not the case here. This is not a stuck ring issue. There is water entering the oil, period. There is a crack somewhere, be it in the block itself, the cylinder head(s) or the head gasket(s).

It can be argued that a head gasket may have failed shortly after you first started the engine this year. Although a rare occurrence in the small block chevy, it does happen, and the venerable 305 is no stranger to this issue. But if any cracks are present in the block or heads, it most certainly is the fault of the winterizer (the marina in this case).

Good luck. Be sure to get a second opinion from an engine builder of your choice, if they try to pass the blame onto you.

A few years ago...Our boat.engine ..( 350 gm...King Cobra out drive.) started " making 'milky' oil "....Showed about 3 inches over the full mark....Took it down to Gene Moores and the starboard manifold had a hole rusted through on the inside...allowing water into the right bank of the motor....It wasn't cracked or broken....just rusted through :(

First sticking rings will cause blow by, of gas/oil but not water. Water is not in that loop anywhere, unless its comming in though a broken manifold back through the exhust valves. But you would foul out plugs if that were the case.

It definite isn't rings but the big problem is anyone that is remotely familure with these motors would never say that. So either he is preparing you for a good "cheating" or he honestly dose not understand how they work.

You have water In the oil in a bad way, It seems if you didn't drive your boat long you have a large leak, that would almost lead me to believe its not a head gasket although it could be, but if this much water is from less than 4Min'sns of running you would almost have to have a crack somewhere.

Your biggest problem is now you know your "guy" is either a lier or ignorant, and thats why the guys on this list want to know who he is so they can avoid him. An honest guy would have said "Oh no" and then not much untill they pulled it out to look for it.

Your biggest problem is now you know your "guy" is either a lier or ignorant, and thats why the guys on this list want to know who he is so they can avoid him. An honest guy would have said "Oh no" and then not much untill they pulled it out to look for it.

Well said........

Here's an update on the engine. I talked to the guy at the engine shop and he did a leak down test on the block to see if it was cracked. Block was good. Then he did a compression test and found one cylinder really bad. He also tested the heads. They were good. After he disassembled the engine he found in that bad cylinder broken rings on the piston. He said that with such low compression in that one cylinder it was sucking water back in from the exhaust and going into the oil pan which caused the milky oil.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Interesting I wonder how the physics of broken rings is overcomming the fact that with broken rings you can not make compression but you can make suction? How come water dose not come into the cylinder on the non compression stroke?

Im not saying it isn't true, just that don't understand how that would work.

My motor died one time at the end of a long hard because of ignition problem with distributor, and when I went to start it after fixing the distributor, the motor "seized" up. I pulled the plugs one cylinder was loaded with water. The motor guy said when it was shut off hot like that it made steam out of the cooling water that pushed passed the valve. It didn't hurt anything but a plug, as I found it before damage (not even water in the oil) so it was interesting as well.