Found these in a Laker

rocks_from_laker.jpg

Me and a friend went to Keuka this past weekend and I found these rocks in one of the lakers belly this weekend and was wondering if others had found similar things and had any theories why they were there

hopefully the pic comes through

Has anybody ever done research on the way the laker's digestive system works? Some land animals (ostridges) need stones in their digestive system. I'm just wondering if certain fish need something simular.

I think Muley's/goats eat dirt for nutrients. Most birds eat gravel to help their gizzard grind up hard grains. I think woodchucks might do the same thing. I never heard of it in a fish except maybe those reef fish that eat coral and poop sand. I would be suprised to see stones in a laker. I found deer teeth in a turkey's gizzard once. They were polished so smooth and white, I was going to make a necklace out of them, but never got around to it. Thanks for sharing. I am curious too as to why small stones were in laker...

A tourny fish with a lead meal? interesting...

you know what, i didn't know what it was but i pulled a baitfish out of the same belly and i was wondering it was because of the shape of the head, it was only a little digested so you could make out pretty decent details. i just did a quick search and i think it was a sculpin or something very similar so that would make sense.

I see those sculpins, what I believe they are, in a creek called newtown that flows into chemung river... Interesting.

Last week a guy showed me a 6 inch rubber bait found in a laketrout he cut up... I thought that was cool..

These came out of a laker from Raystown Lake last week. All of it was in one 24" fish.

Laker_food.jpg

Caught one about 8lbs on Owasco that had over 12 plastics in it 5 of them had hooks. Most were bass worms guys had chucked in after they were worn out. The ones with hooks were jigs.

seeing those soft plastics in the lakers reminds me of an article i read in In Fisherman about how bass that eat plastics often have compromised digestive systems that results in either poor health or death - another good reason for fisherman not to litter our precious lakes with anything non-biodegradable

dre