Which do I want? Wire? Copper? leadcore? (newbie)

I am new to lake Ontario fishing for sure. I fish walleye on Oneida lake most of the time. Took a few charters years back on Ontario but it was for brown trout. Over the winter I researched fishing for them and have had success so far every time out. I have been searching the site like crazy for the last two weeks for info on going deep for the big boys. I want to be prepared for summer when I will concentrate on them. My head is spinning on what rod/reel combos to get and what line to run. I see everything from wire dipsy, copper and leadcore. I have two manual down riggers and just got a bunch of different dipsy divers that I have not used yet(slowly getting tackle). I will be going out for browns this weekend and think I will stop and the local bait shop to pick his brain a bit but want your guys advice. I want to buy 4 rod/reel combos so that when I take guys with me they won't have to worry about buying equipment. I don't want to go top of the line but I want stuff that will stand the test of time. Most likely I will be getting out 1-2 times a week if lucky and weather permitting. So if you guys were to buy 4 rod/reel combos what would you get to start off with and what line would you run? Any help would be awesome. Anyone close to me that wants to show me bit of their setup that would help too. I have been to the A-TOM-MIK site several times but it doesn't help when you don't know what you want to run.

I also have a ton of spoons that I just got, roughly 60-70, and can get my hands on some leadcore line. Had no idea what the hell it was when I had the chance to grab it from a buddy so I left it. If you guys say grab it I will. Also can grab any color spoons I want so if you guys say grab a certain color I will grab as many as I can for my tackle boxes.

Thanks for any advice!!!

If I was only buying 4 rods n reels I would buy 2 rigger rods with mono and 2 wire divers with 30# wire

Mono line weight would have to change during the season, early season like 10# and then 20# when running attractors, then 30 during flea season

Tekota 600LC are an awesome reel for all applications, but some Okumas would be cheaper, convector 30 or 40

Early season the 2 wire diver applications would be over kill for chasing BTs, 4 rods for riggers and boards would be a better choice, maybe just use the same reels early for 4 mono outfits, you would want to run 4 board lines early anyway

Lots of options, but you will want 2 wire divers once BT season winds down, there are still days I fish with my kids and just run 2 riggers and 2 wire divers

Tom

:yes::yes: Wire divers are a must if you are chasing kings. You can stack your riggers and run 4 rods there too, but I would run your 2 riggers, 2 wire divers, and 2 sliders off the rigger rods, if you only have room for 4 rods. That gives u 6 lines in the water at various depths and spread.

If you still plan on walleye fishing Oneida I would definately get that leadcore. it works well for walleye trolling off big boards or flatlining, same goes for Brown trout. I got 4 okuma rigger rods and 4 okuma 45dx reels new in box on EBAY shipped for around $250, you cant beat that. theyre a little big for brown trout and walleye but big enough for salmon. If you can catch walleye in oneida you can catch Salmon in Ontario no problem. Good luck!

If you want kings you want wire divers. Wire divers fired about 5 to 1 over Riggers for me. I bought rods for spring browns this yr so I didn't have to switch line and what not. My brown rods are accudepth 8rods ft med lt with okuma magna reels in size 20. Only used these once on sat ,I don't like the reels. Should of got convectors. For summer I have 47lcs for wire divers. Convector30 for Riggers and 5 color leadcore. Clarion 553ls for 300the and 400 copper. But like tom said tekotas and saltist are the way to go.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

You can get ugly stik downrigger combos from musket creek outdoors. Rod and reel for $79. The reels are not the greatest but will catch fish. You can upgrade those down the road. Spool them with 25 or 30 lbs mono. Then get a couple wire dipsey set ups and some flasher/flies from atommic.

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

I already have 4 rods set up with accudepth 47lc's for browns. Been running them with inline boards. I don't want to change line that often so I want to get the 4 set up's to minimize that. I have 4 extra rods that are in the 8'-10' range. Think they are 9'6" for the most part. Was thinking of the convectors to put on them. I can do that. Spool two of them with mono. Then do the other with wire dipsy set ups. Is that good? I know there is a ton of info here but seems like I am looking over the same stuff over and over. Is there a post or two that has info on a wire set up. Thinking two of them will do my set up good. Then maybe after my wallet recovers grab a prespooled copper from A-TOM-MIK. Thanks for your help guys. Any more suggestions won't hurt.

Buy 4 convectors and 2 spools of torpedo 19 strand smoke wire. Fill 2 of the convectors with the 2 spools of torpedo wire (1000') or buy one spool and split it 500' on each reel with 300' of 50# Power Pro backing but you will have to tie a nail knot to splice and make sure the power pro is taped on the reel seat or it will spin. Spool the other 2 with 20# mono (I like Maxima chameleon for its durability) and use 2 of your other rods for stackers. There is your perfect 6 rod spread for kings. Good luck.

If you get copper for a chute rod, get a 500 or 600 copper that you can use at all depths. If you are using on boards, u have to get all different lengths as you can only attach releases to the mono at the end of the copper.

If I was only buying 4 rods n reels I would buy 2 rigger rods with mono and 2 wire divers with 30# wire

Mono line weight would have to change during the season, early season like 10# and then 20# when running attractors, then 30 during flea season

Tekota 600LC are an awesome reel for all applications, but some Okumas would be cheaper, convector 30 or 40

Early season the 2 wire diver applications would be over kill for chasing BTs, 4 rods for riggers and boards would be a better choice, maybe just use the same reels early for 4 mono outfits, you would want to run 4 board lines early anyway

Lots of options, but you will want 2 wire divers once BT season winds down, there are still days I fish with my kids and just run 2 riggers and 2 wire divers

Tom

Like Tom says two rigger rods and two wire dipsies :yes::yes: Thats our go to set.

If I had to do over I wouldn't buy any reels that didn't have a high speed retrieve .(like 6:1) When running wire and copper you can have a lot of line in the water and if you need to clear it in a hurry it's nice to have a reel that will help you do that.

Good Luck and Good Fishing !

Tom hit the nail on the head. If it wasn't for customers and Tourneys I would not run Copper. The fish is pretty much dead after a battle on copper. So, if your not eating them or have someone who will it's pretty much a dead fish. Wires divers and riggers will get you good action. If you want to go deep with your riggers you will need no less than 15lb weights.

d

Are the Accu Depth reels the newer AD+ ? If they are, and you like them, you could;

Put 1000' of 30# wire on 2 of the 47's for dipsey use

Put a short section of leadcore on each of the other AD47's ( EG; 2, 4 color ). Use a braid like 50# Power Pro as backer. These can be good off boards for browns and steelies.(Tie in 50' of mono between the core and the braid to clip the release on)

Buy two AD+ 57's, Load them close to full with 20-25# mono. use these on your riggers, when the fleas show up strip off 300' and use a blood knot to fill it with 30# mono

Buy two AD+ 27's , load them with 15# mono/ leader down for boards, flat lines or clean spoons of your riggers.

use what rods you have and fill in what you don't

I bought a bunch of the Accu Depth + reels 4-5 years ago planning to upgrade when I could afford to. I'm still using all but one, they work for me

I second the advise to attend the seminar at Gander,

Joe

Tom

I couldn't have said it better myself. 2 wire lines on dipseys and 2 mono's on downriggers. I also like to put spoons on two lines and flies on two lines with Spin Doctors. Colors - blue/silvers, greens are good. Monkey Puke and Hawg Wild are also awsome producing colors.

BTW why are you going out only for BTs? What about kings?

BTW why are you going out only for BTs? What about kings?

I am willing to fish for any of them. Just need a starting point. I can only buy so much equipment at once. I started the winter with no tackle for any fishing on lake Ontario and have invested close to $2000 on odds and ends, Polls, boards, lures, spoons and other tackle.

Is there a good thread about setting up a wire rod? Having trouble finding that too. Doing a search brings up anything that ever mentioned wire in it. Tough to read through them all. Thanks a lot guys. Actually went to Bass Pro last night and spent $320 and didn't even get a rod/reel. Just some rod holders and a bunch more tackle. Its an addiction this fishing thing. LOL

Just that it can be used across the widest range of depths, and gets messed with less when the fleas hit. We've added a pair for this season - just waiting for later in the season.