Decking Replacement - Boat Rebuild

carpedium

Good for you if i had a nice garage i would rebuild custom fishing machines..wish i could figure a safe way to get mine off the trailer and repaint the bottom...

It takes a great deal of patience... People are right when they say it takes twice as long and twice as much $$ than you originally think. Granted I was originally going to do all of this in a weekend :smirk:

..............*(you) & the project live........(probably why they have that "preview" button huh?)

haha we're both hanging in there for now! Right now its mainly just motor stuff. My father is finishing up putting a new seal-kit in the power tilt/trim unit - there are like 100 o-rings and seals that go in that thing.

I think on my lunchbreak today i'm going to head out and see if I can get some new control cables. Then I can mount my motor controls and get the rest of the motor control wiring pulled back and ready to connect to the motor when it goes on.

Some progress!!! Diagnosed my motor issue - ended up being an intermittent issue with the timer base. If all goes well I will pop the new timer in, link/sync, and be landing 35lb salmon by Sunday. haha yeah right. here's to wishful thinking! :)

Install new timer base

Add Registration sticker

Fix fuel tanks

Link/Sync

Paint Motor (postponed till fall 2012)

Tilt/Trim (postponed till fall 2012)

Updated pic with seating:

I will likely be doing something different with the passenger seating at some point, but this is actually turned out pretty good.

2012-07-09_18-20-03_622.jpg

Well.... Mixed emotions about today.

2012-07-15_05-27-06_388.jpg

Got up around 430 and headed to pick up my father to give her a test bath and eventually go fishing. Beautiful morning!

Launched, everything went fine, no water in bilge. Headed out the channel, got to thee end, gave her the throttle and she jumped on plane faster than she ever has. I mean this thing is snappy!

Then she completely gave out.

Started back up no problem, wanted to die the more has I have it, so figured fuel issue. Checked out the screen, tank vent, bulb was hard. Plugs were wet, but had carbon - plus they are a few seasons old so decided to pull her at 630 and get plugs.

2012-07-15_07-00-22_636.jpg

2012-07-15_07-00-30_136.jpg

Got new plugs in and back on the water by 10.

Took her out, got on plane and the motor ran like a top. Made some on the fly timing tweaks to resolve some hesitation at mid range, and after that it was good. It still hesitates slightly at mid but I can live with it till this fall/winter when I can get any marine mechanic to call me back.

2012-07-15_10-58-38_153.jpg

Got to fishing around 1030 and put about an hour in. Landed two rainbows, kept one that was not going to make it.

First pic is slime from the first fish for proof. Lol had to get it back in the water.

2012-07-15_11-09-16_674.jpg

2012-07-15_11-47-55_862.jpg

Gear worked great!

2012-07-15_11-59-39_235.jpg

Sonar picking up a ball of bait fish

2012-07-15_12-11-49_963.jpg

Came in due to impending storms and half way in the motor kicks back to 2 cylinders... Now a new problem to try to fix.

I'm thinking of completely re-doing all of the wiring on the motor at this point, but that means messing around with the connectors which i don't really want to do.

Came in due to impending storms and half way in the motor kicks back to 2 cylinders... Now a new problem to try to fix.

I'm thinking of completely re-doing all of the wiring on the motor at this point, but that means messing around with the connectors which i don't really want to do.

Try running Champion QL77JC4's in it, looks like an early 80's vintage Johnson like mine, mine don't like the NGK plugs.

Try running Champion QL77JC4's in it, looks like an early 80's vintage Johnson like mine, mine don't like the NGK plugs.

When you had NGK's did you experience a similar issue?

Matt.......your worse than my emotional roller-coaster of a ex-wife :o ...........I'm reading your posts.....I'm up & glad for you :yes:.......... I keep reading & I crash :( ............I think it's time we go our separate ways...........it's not you.......it's me .................BOY AM I ENJOYING MY PROBLEM FREE.......knock on wood, BOAT ! 8):beer::yes: sending "LUCK" your way :D

Lol. Yeah that's what I get! Thanks for the encouragement though. I was out tonight and found that there was no continuity in one of my plug wires, and 6 ohms in another. I tried like heck to get a reading through them too. So I am thinking that was the issue. I went out and got new wires and it really runs a lot smoother now. Also decarbed the motor tonight and that seemed to help a little as well. Will be looking to take it out one night this week to be sure that was the issue! The motor is a dream to work on and to understand. I would buy another in a heartbeat.

• 3 weeks later...

The final answer is that it ended up being a second bad timer base. Meaning the one that I replaced was bad out of the box. We were camping last week, and after all of the rigamaroo of changing plugs and wires and tearing the thing apart again the problem was still persisting. It got to the point where it would only run on 2 cyl, so at that point it was very easy to diagnose. The issue was getting all of the tools together to pull the flywheel and reset the timing, etc while camping. I called the place I bought the part from and they were able to overnight me a new one at their cost, which was pretty nice. Otherwise the boat fished great, the flooring is excellent on the bare feet and it does not get too hot. Very durable except on the edges where I sealed with sealant, the spray on did not stick as well. My plan from the start was to try and find some trim for that area anyway so it doesn't bother me.

For the size of the boat it is a dream to fish out of and is very functional. The electronics did what they were supposed to do. I bucketed in some water to rinse the slime off of the deck and the bilge pumps worked great as well.

It is very nice having motorized downriggers and a subtroll. I did lose a downrigger ball due to a failed crimp by the previous owner. Lesson learned!

Next up is pulling the motor back off this fall to paint her up.

• 2 weeks later...