Decking Replacement - Boat Rebuild

carpedium

Weekend summary:

Got done:

Saturday:

- Inspect tig welds at stringer ends

- Power wash interior of boat shell

- Level and fill hull with water to identify leaky rivets. Mark with wife's eyeliner.

- Drain water and drill rivets out.

- Dry area and replace leaky rivets with closed end pop rivets.

- Degrease hull, scrub, then etch interior of hull with vinegar/water mix.

- Test hull for water tightness a second time

- Dry inside of hull and apply heavy coat of gluvit.

- Cover with heat lamp and let cure overnight.

Sunday

- Ensure Gluvit cured

- Measure and cut decking pieces to required sizes

- Measure and cut foam to required sizes

- Install foam

- Dry fit decking

- Epoxy decking

- Install decking

Did not get done:

- Cut and fit new dash wood, paint.

- Install consoles

- Cut and Fit bow-rider wood

I thought my to-do list was a little soaked in wishful thinking, but all in all it feels like progress!

You left out "Replace wife's eyeliner before she notices it's gone and tries to kill me."

I keep threatening to steal my wife's 42 bottles of nail polish to paint spoons and beads but I don't think I'm brave enough to really do it.

You left out "Replace wife's eyeliner before she notices it's gone and tries to kill me."

I keep threatening to steal my wife's 42 bottles of nail polish to paint spoons and beads but I don't think I'm brave enough to really do it.

haha, someone is paying attention!

Yeah I ended up just using a pencil. ;)

The epoxy for the floor isn't cured completely yet, but I do have a shopping list:

2) Thru-hull fittings for bilge pumps

6' of new bilge pump hose (replacing the old and adding another)

New switch panel for dashboard

battery selector switch

Paint for interior and exterior

Primer

Zinc Chromate

Enamel hardener

A cooler to double as captains seat

Lots of wire

Cup holders

... think thats 80% of it

Are we still talking about a boat rebuild? :lol::D:rofl:

I finished mine a couple months ago and used advantech, I love it. The herculiner I used was great and can't think of a better floor option. For screwing to the stringers just use stainless steel and they don't have to self tap if you pre-drill. Pep boys has a great price on stainless accessories, I was surprised but they are cheaper than lowes and the depot.

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

I'm glad you chimed in, I like the way your project turned out! The reason I didn't go with herculiner was 100% an intended use thing. This boat gets used to recreation as well as fishing, so since the herculiner is only available locally in black, it would have made for some hot feet

Are we still talking about a boat rebuild? :lol::D:rofl:

Depends who the beads are for. :lol:

Get a wash down pump and use one of the holes for the water intake. Washdown pumps are worth their weight in gold.

Hmm... that's a pretty neat idea. I guess I never considered one of those for a little tinny like mine. I like it.

A was down pump it a great thing, but put a valve inside a brass fitting. Your boat will sink quick if any of the plastic breaks. A brass strainer fitting with a gate valve inside that then plumbed to a wash down pump is doing it right. Also not sure if you have the paint or not but.... I called Interlux about the bottom paint on my boat and talked to a tec. And what he recommended was the VC performance epoxy right over the sand blasted alum. Just blasted enough to clean and not erode it though so that means a quick sweep over any bear metal. I was quite surprised, but talked to him quite a bit about it and he assured me I could spend piles of money if I wanted to or do it this way and have a job just as good. I also found out that its one of the cheapest bottom coatings and its one of the best. It has a Teflon it it and they use it on racing sailboats (it was on the Americas Cup when it won).

Full disclosure though; I have not done mine yet but I do have the paint. I though I would let you know..

A was down pump it a great thing, but put a valve inside a brass fitting. Your boat will sink quick if any of the plastic breaks. A brass strainer fitting with a gate valve inside that then plumbed to a wash down pump is doing it right. Also not sure if you have the paint or not but.... I called Interlux about the bottom paint on my boat and talked to a tec. And what he recommended was the VC performance epoxy right over the sand blasted alum. Just blasted enough to clean and not erode it though so that means a quick sweep over any bear metal. I was quite surprised, but talked to him quite a bit about it and he assured me I could spend piles of money if I wanted to or do it this way and have a job just as good. I also found out that its one of the cheapest bottom coatings and its one of the best. It has a Teflon it it and they use it on racing sailboats (it was on the Americas Cup when it won).

Full disclosure though; I have not done mine yet but I do have the paint. I though I would let you know..

Interesting, thanks for the info!

What would you guys do to patch the two holes on the right... previously for the livewell?

Im thinking aluminum plate, epoxy and rivets?

2012-04-17_13-40-19_779.jpg

I had the same problem and used aluminum on the inside glued on with 3M 5200 and kept in place by the glue and the wood transom.

If you do any repairs like that, it is an opportunity to add a heavy piece of wood on the outside. You can screw your transducer onto the wood instead of drilling a new hole into the hull.

What would you guys do to patch the two holes on the right... previously for the livewell?

Im thinking aluminum plate, epoxy and rivets?

2012-04-17_13-40-19_779.jpg

I had the same problem and used aluminum on the inside glued on with 3M 5200 and kept in place by the glue and the wood transom.

If you do any repairs like that, it is an opportunity to add a heavy piece of wood on the outside. You can screw your transducer onto the wood instead of drilling a new hole into the hull.

That's a great idea, if not a piece of wood, a flanged piece of aluminum for that purpose.

Tonight I made replacements for the dash - captain and navigator side. I ended up going with aluminum tread plate over left over decking, and I think it came out well. I bonded the aluminum to the wood with liquid nails, and now I just have to cut the correct holes in for the switch panel, steering wheel, glove box, etc. then de-burr, and mount.

I am also going to knock down the mirror finish with a brass wire brush to give it a brushed aluminum finish. This will cut down on the glare.

I fastened the aluminum to the wood with rivets to seal tight - then I'll use rivets to mount them to the console itself.

Pics:

2012-04-17_19-27-05_906.jpg

2012-04-17_19-24-09_914.jpg

2012-04-17_20-17-50_903.jpg

Not a bad evening!

2012-04-17_20-02-13_825.jpg

For pligging the two holes. I had one that was leaking on my boat. It would have been the hole to the left that would have had a wire mesh cover to it. This one was used for water inlet for the live well pumps. I just bought a plumbing pvc cap and screwed it on. Otherwise I probable would have a welder weld in a piece of alum.

Boy I know what your going thru! Feels great when it's done. My boat is so much better than before. Gamblers idea of a wash down pump is one of my next things to do, lakers can get the bottom pretty gross. For now it's a bucket. I also want a secondary bilge for the bow. Look foreword to seeing you at sandy

Boy I know what your going thru! Feels great when it's done. My boat is so much better than before. Gamblers idea of a wash down pump is one of my next things to do, lakers can get the bottom pretty gross. For now it's a bucket. I also want a secondary bilge for the bow. Look foreword to seeing you at sandy

Yeah I really like how your boat turned out as well based on the pictures you posted. I am looking at this washdown pump: http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product ... chID=4005#

I look forward to seeing you out there too.. at this point i look forward to plain being out there.

:)

Your going to be using a 3m 5200 or 4500 or something of that type I would assume. That will insulate it enough so its not an issue, use the sealer on the outside and rubber washer under the locking nut on the inside (cut inner tube). I have done the same and there are no issues.

I would never trust anything else, especially zinc. Unless you and find an alum fitting (maybe McMasters has them) .