Problems with planers

always used inline planers for walleye. This is my 1st season for big boards. I a have set of big yellow double Willie's boards, 2 foot plus long. I am having problems getting them to pull hard enough out to sides of boat and they go slack and fall back behind boat too far. This is at 1.5 to 2mph so im not too fast, is was windy and wavy last timeout but not enough to screw up boards that bad. They do have unscrewable plugs on sides, is this to weight them? they also seem to get water in them, is the water weight my issue? If youre familiar with these hollow plastic double planer boards please give me some ways to trouble shoot my issues. Thanks

All you can try to the best of my knowledge is raise your starting point of the line. They came out with those double boards years ago, due to problems with their early models which were large single boards. In marginal water, well made wood boards and the otter boats have proven to out perform the boards you are describing. Maybe someone else who has those boards can offer a few tips.

I have the planer reels mounted high on both sides of my hard top, so they can't be mounted any higher. I wonder if i used a can of great stuff (expanding spray foam) and fill them if that would help me or hurt me.??? since they are plastic and hollow....