proper etiquette

I was out of I-Bay today in my kayak drift trolling.There were no boats around until a large one trolling planer boards came up behind me.I was in 5' of water.As I started to paddle the captain got sarcastic with me stating I was in his way.He was upset because he had to pull in his equipment.My message to him is that I have a manual powered vessel and I HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY!He could have turned his garbage skow in a different direction to avoid the situation.This captain needs to learn the proper ettiquette or gey off the water!

once or twice in 5 years this will happen, I'm shure if ya talked to the Capt. youll find out he was blind or had some other learning disability ,some suffer from" Largboatitus" a belife that the bigger boat is right;;;;or he might of suffered from "my spot itus" a problem with newer guys who can only get fish from one spot..the list goes on im shure others can help solve this issue.

Sounds to me like ibayitis. Generally afflicts pleasure boaters, but looks like its spreading. Very nasty affliction...causes poor actions and decision.

I steer clear of the bay for fear of catching it after a couple close calls with those already infected.

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] BlackBerry.png

Some guys figure that when they bought the big boat, they bought the lake too . There is one guy out of the Oak that I refused to yield to twice . Cut off one of his dipsies once. Was so close to him , I could see his nose flare as I was leaning on my hardtop ,smiling at him.

just my experience but the affliction seems much more common on lake O than the fingers. once the big boats go in the water I stay off the big lake not worth the stress especially with such good fishing in the fingers just as close.

Does it make it ok for kayaks to come right up to the back of your boat, I mean 20ft from you, Had three of them do it last year while i was flatlining on cayuga. Crossed over everything i had out. Even grabbed my plannerboard lines and shoved them out of their way, I had words with them. They told me to ---- off. Don't get me wrong troutstalker, you had the right of way, These guys did'nt have any common sense and i don't think you'd do that.

Thanks!I do my best to respect others in what ever they do.I give plenty of space whether you are fishing from shore or boat.I just don't like disrespect.These kind of actions make me appreciate the Adirondacks even more.No one around to bother me while I'm fishing and camping!

Just get the camera, snap the pic of the reg number and charters name, be sure to include the forefront of water and distance between you and post it on here and other places for some good Google exposure. Business was never as good as before.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Knowing the man made laws of the water are a requirement, but the physical laws of nature should never be ignored either. I am not taking any sides - I just want to make an analogy. If a guy gets hit by a truck walking across the street in a designed cross walk, That man dies and the truck driver loses everything. Two very different laws but one man is dead and the other is dead broke.

I take my 8 foot bass hound out on some pretty large watercraft water bodies and I am always on the look out because of physics. I still never get use to the look of astonishment from beach blond woman on a 40 foot yacht as they trudge past me in the no wake zone. Those boats don't scare me. It is the high powered motor boats. Are they gonna see me in time? That is why I care more about the law of physics. I am always looking. Big boats should be looking harder too, so they can keep their boat.

Tempers flare on the water, along the creek, and on the pier. That's people being people. Be safe everybody, smile, and say Hi, how ya doing?

This is excellent advice from Fish or Swim

There has always beens the odd jerk on the water and there always will be. Nothing you can do about it. Just the way it is. Try not to let it get to you.

I tend to avoid other boats like the plague.

The camera is good idea.

I suggest camera for 2 reasons:

1. Post a pic with his name visible...

and

2. I had a boat comming at my port side while trolling in 200 FOW with not another boat in sight. I took many pictures in sucession and the driver caught the flash out of the corner of his eye & swerved.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

We had an incident last weekend off Oklahoma Beach. We were in 20'of water heading East and one of the grumpy captains out of Rochester was inside us going West. We weren't paying attention because we were both setting lines. He runs with no mate. Honest oops! However, when it came to pulling in planer lines I was the only one doing so while he watched. I had to pull in a good 50'.