Electric Downrigger Circuits Question

I purchased a boat with two Canon 10a downriggers. Previous owner has them switched in the dash using the two factory accessory switches. One for each rigger. With the riggers OFF the boat when I turn the Accessory switch on I can hear a distinct click in the rear of the boat near the pigtail for the rigger. This click is coming from a small square box about 1"x1". Is this box a circuit breaker or a relay? If it is a circuit breaker I understand what that's for. If it is a relay I'm a little lost. Does a relay increase voltage to a full 12v at the rigger? Could someone help me understand what it does and how it works.

Dennis

If you look at the box are there large wires and smaller wires coming out of it? The pourpose of a relay is to control a high current circuit with a lower current switch. This would stand to reason as a DC voltage wire ratings are affected by distance. The further you go the bigger wire you need. The relay saves the problem of running large wires to the front of the boat and back. It would be normal to hear a relay click when energized so most likely that is what you have.

If you look at the box are there large wires and smaller wires coming out of it? The pourpose of a relay is to control a high current circuit with a lower current switch. This would stand to reason as a DC voltage wire ratings are affected by distance. The further you go the bigger wire you need. The relay saves the problem of running large wires to the front of the boat and back. It would be normal to hear a relay click when energized so most likely that is what you have.

Bingo! Yes I did not mention the larger wire size. You're right. Makes sense to me now. Smaller gauge factory wiring from accessory switch to larger gauge wire needed for the rigger.

Thanks,

Dennis