Use of braided 50# test Dacron line.

Does anybody use it for 100' to 150' trolling of large lures ? 10" to 13" size ? Do you wind up using keel weights or something else ?

How would I know what depth my lures are running ? Or do I just count on a attack from deep fish ?

Or do I ask a buddy in his boat to eyeball the lure while I troll ?

I am not a deep water person. But I do want to learn more about the effect of depth on a lures depth while trolling.

Dipsey Diver has a nice chart for depth controls. Should I just start & stay with the Dipsey ?

Thanks

Rich

You mentioned fleas building up on the line & jaming in the guides on another posted thread. What good is using braid with that problem compared to a slick strand of Flourocarbon or outragously strong Monofilament.

I am missing knowledge of the flea problem ? My gut reaction is, less fleas on a solid line. During peak flea times, a changeover to solid is required ?

I read up on the fleas & they are everywhere since about 1987 ?

30# Stranded wire line for dipsies. Cuts through the fleas. As your line goes through the water on a troll the fleas hook onto the line and build up. They have a hooked "tail" that locks on to the line . Looks like a bunch of wet dryer lint with little eyes. If your lines are out for a long time it can be 1" or more in dia. and 20' or more long. It will plug up the tip of the rod and you can't reel in any line. Not a good thing with a fish on. People switch over to thicker 30# mono or fleaflicker flatline to try and keep them off. I just check my lines alot. Avoid alot of trial and error ,don't reinvent the wheel, and use the wire! :yes:

I have never had a problem with fleas in the St. Lawrence River. It is fed with water from Lake Ontario.

I guess the fleas could not pay the toll fees to enter the river ?

;);)

Have to do better than the lake is filled with line grabbing fleas.

I found a site that is a DNR of lake Erie. Complete with a rod line covered by them.

The fleas are as bad as stated by BIG DAVE.

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the warning about them.

I will stay in the river & let you have all the Big Fish. Enjoy.

You only get them in the late summer. Sometimes you can move away from an area that has them. The fingerlakes have them too. They arn't strong swimmers thats why they hitch aride on the lines. The current in the river would stop them from schooling up like they do in the lake (guessing)

We use 50# braid on spinning reels when fishing for Kings in the Alaskan Rivers. You need the power to stop long runs when there are a lot of fishermen around. It casts well using magnum Wiggle Warts, Hot and Tots, etc. You can run into 60# Kings there a lot.

Hi Dave.

The 50# Dacron is for the the DEEP Dipsies with the large Rapalas that are in a Emerald shad color about 100' to 150' back. We will run 2 keel weighted RAPALA Emeralds maybe 8' to 10' down also. about 150' also.

We are not to concerned about the body counts. We bring food to eat.

Almost forgot. How long of a leader is enough for lake fish if they get to spooked up ?

Rich

The dipsie leader can't be to much longer than the rod , or you won't be able to net the fish . You don't want to handline in a king with to long a leader. I don't fish with the keel weights, buy I would think the same would happen with those.

Thanks again Dave.

I have no need of Dipsies or keel weights in the river. I use those weights that have a piece of rubber in them. On heavy line. They slide easy enough at the end of the fight.

Might use them on the upper lures in the lake.

I find the fish get agressive after I pass over them.

The 50# braid will be fine until the fleas get bad. Wire for dipsies works really well during flea season, and I go with 30# Ande mono for non-dipsy rods.

Even wire will collect some, but the good part is that as you reel up, they tend to slide down the line, keeping your rod from getting clogged up.

Here's a wire dipsy line with fleas from last summer... you can barely see the wire, but the yellowish crud above the swivels is a mass of fleas

wire_fleas.jpg