dipsy reel suggestions

If you have the money get diawa saltist lv. Size 30 will fit 1000 ft of wire

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

I second the Saltist size 30. 1000' fits perfectly, not sure if you are looking at wire or not. If you are looking to use just braid, you will be fine with the 20 or 30.

Capt. Rich

Being a weekend warrior I use Okuma convector 30s for my 2- 50lb braid reels with room to spare and 2 wire line set ups with 1000'. They worked flawlessly the past 2 seasons. But from what I heard and seen (fishing with Rich D ) the Saltists are a great reel also. Just depends on what you want to spend on a reel.

There's actually not much difference in cost between wire and PowerPro. Even in my limited experience, I've seen a king hit a dipsy 350 ft out and run to over 800 on his initial run...

Why would anyone need 1000' of wire. Wouldn't it be more economical to use less with braid as a backing?

because wire comes in 1000' spools, 1000' of wire fills that size reel perfectly and with a single continuous length of line, no connecting knots to fail.

Thanks for all the input. great site and great members.

Is wire that much better than braid? From what I read the wire is necessary when the fleas show up, when does this usually happen.?

what rod do I need to run wire? If i want the best and if I am on a budget?

I just ordered saltist with copper from Atomik.

Thanks again

Shadster, As said before there is not much difference in price from wire and power pro when you are buying both of them too spool one reel. 1000' of wire is reel nice cause in accompedates big salmon and their long runs. You don't need any backing with 1000' of wire. Fleas don't stick to wire as bad and wire cuts through fleas no problem. Powerpro is nice stuff but fleas just love it. I just got 1000' of 30lb torpedo wire for 32.99 last week.

Sturgeonx- As far as reels go Okuma Convector 30's are what I use. I like Okuma Clarion 30's as well. They have the high speed retrieve. You can get them on Ebay new for $111 delivered. Diawa Salist reels are popular. They too have the high speed retrieve. Shimano Tekota 600lc is probably the most popular in the salmon world. You can get the Shimano reel brand new on Ebay for 162.99 delivered. Hope this helps

2 types of rods are used for wire. Rollor rods, are probably one of the best but expensive. Shimano Talora Rollors rods run about 249.99 but worth it. Okuman Blue diamond rods are nice and run about $110. Then there are downrigger or dipsy rods. All they need is a Twillie Tip and you will be set to run wire. I prefer and run 10' Eagle Claw Starfire Rods. Rods just are a blast to fight fish on. Heres a pic!

Fleas don't usually start showing up until June and stay around through August I think. Someone has a good post on the fleas somewhere on this forum.

dipsy.jpg

I have 2 Daiwa Heartland Diver rods with Twilli tips that are 11 or 12 years old that are as good as new. You really cannot beat those rods for the money.

The Daiwa SG47LCA is a super wire diver reel as well and 1000' of 30 lb wire fills them perfectly.

Tim