Nylon or Wire

I received some dispy rods from my grandfather recently and instead of wire it had nylon line. I bought some 30 lb wire for them but ive never even seen this before. Thought it was braid at first. He says he used Dipsys with them. Anyone use this before with dipsys?

I received some dispy rods from my grandfather recently and instead of wire it had nylon line. I bought some 30 lb wire for them but ive never even seen this before. Thought it was braid at first. He says he used Dipsys with them. Anyone use this before with dipsys?

I know we used mono for years going back to the 80's and 90's and possibly into the early 2000's before wire came along and became much more popular for obvious reasons. I'm sure some fisherman are still using mono today.

If you have never run wire be careful not to kink it. Get someone to hold the spool. We use a pencil and my wife holds it with a pair of gloves because the spool gets hot when you keep tension on it. Wind it tight and the first time out let the line all the way out and then reel it back in without tripping the dipsy. This does two things the first being it allows the wire to relax and remove any twist the second is that it will be wound nice and tight. Our first time with wire we had a 20lb salmon on and the wire was not wound tight enough. The wire slipped and cut into the wire causing a jam in the reel. We did clear the reel and land the fish but it was a lesson learned! Wes

+1

I just spooled my first wire reel, by myself, and as Wes described it would have been much easier with an extra set of hands. It worked out ok but why chance messing up a $40 spool of wire?

I would agree with Wes....Brent's Place just made an extra $81.00 because I tried to do it myself with a couple new rods and couldn't keep the line from shooting off the spool. With some advice from Wes, a buddy, a pair of gloves, and more care it went of no problem. As far as the termination knot ask Wes if he can show you the knot he taught me. Super easy and never had an issue with it slippiing.

I forgot to add stout rod holders and twillie tips. I have a couple rods with ceramic guides and that works but it curls the wire. I trim 10' of wire off a few times a year. I have twillies to put on but never seem to get to it. Changed water pump in the big motor today the kicker last week, replaced surge brake master cylinder on trailer the week before that. Never enough time! Wes

found this a while ago ..... does anyone do this? I'm trying to visualize it ... probably need a photo.

Quote: "wire is way to go, set your drag real light after you have the dipsey at the ft out you want to cover than attach a #3 or so rubber band around the wire to the reel handle. fish hits, rubber band breaks then adjust drag to fight fish. this helps avoid loosing the fish from the initial shock of the strike, silver diver/black diver are my best.. somedays if it weren't for my divers it would be a slow go...good luck "

No it is 7 strand or 19 strand.Any tackle shops around lake "O" will have it. Basspro has it but it was a little pricey.Mailorder is also an option. A47lc will hold 1000'. You do not need 1000' for finger lakes but if you go to lake "O" that extra line can come in handy. The other nice thing is that with 1000" you can get tangled and you will get tangled andor kinked cut the bad part out put on another swivel and be back fishing in a few minutes. Wire is a tool that you can love and hate at the same time. Nothing is for free so you have to take the good with the bad. You must keep wire tight at all times or it will kink. We had trouble last year with weeds would fould the dipsy and it would not track to the side and get in the other lines. If you get tangled reel both rods in at the same time and you can often get everything back. If you fish the Barny and Bear's derby look me up on final weigh in and I can answer any questions you might have. Wes

Braid will work as good as wire untill the fleas come out. The fleas still get on the wire but you grab them pinching down on the wire and slip it down the wire untill it cuts the little pains in the butt in half. I do not mean to scare you with the wire just use caution. Once you get the hang of it it's not that bad. The first time I got tangled wire and rigger line we were running a spinny and it wrapped hundrads of time around the wire. I thought to myself just cut the mono little did I notice that the wire had kinked and broke and the mono was the only thing that was holding it. I watched as my dipsy spinny and fly sank into the depths. At first I thought I cut the wrong line but I did cut the mono.That is what makes these forums so nice. You can learn from others that have already made the mistakes. Wes

I have used braid and wire with ceramic tips. Most of the great lakes style dipsy rods have guides that are hard enough. The only thing we use the roller rod on is copper. Maybe someone else could chime in but I think super braid might be small enough diameter to get caught in the rollers. I have never tried it. Wes

I will tell you that I was a big fan of braid and put it on all my rods. Come flea time I was sorry I had spent all that money because it loaded up so bad I had to stop and clear the line just to land the fish or reel in the lures. With the wire you can just reel and the wire is sharp enough to cut through the fleas.

I see 3 types / Mfg / of 7 strand wire:

1. Malin Wire Line

2. Mason Multistrand Wire Line

3. Torpedo Wire

The Torpedo seems to be the lowest coast and advertises as follows;

Torpedo Wire is more flexible than other wire lines used for fishing. Crimps are not required, you can use normal fishing knots. Being more flexible than other wire lines, this wire line is less prone to kinking. Torpedo Wire is less prone to Spiny Water Fleas than some other wire lines. The diameter of torpedo wire is .015 inches and rated at 20, 30, or 45 lb test. Available colors are Bright Silver or Smoke.

What works best in the real world?

Don