Brown Trout Help

Hey Guys, I have been a member for awhile, but have not checked this site in awhile because I don't make it up to the lake often (3+ hours away). I am going to trailer the 18 ft smoker craft with 2 electric down riggers up to the lake. My question is this. We do not have a kicker on this boat, its a 90 horse 2 stroke. It trolls unbelievably well from 2.0-3.0 that is on the GPS. We have 4 Inline planer boards we can use (Orange Walleye Boards). I just invested $350- in tackle, Northern king spoons, stinker spoons in "Dirty White Boy" "Orange" and Blue monkey, (names may be a little off). I am going to be running 12 lb main line, and I picked up 2 spools of 8 an d10 lb seaguar floro for leaders. I picked up numerous 2 different sized jointed rapalas, smith wicks up the yin yang, and rapala flat raps. Am I missing anything!?!? We are going to be fishing for 3 days April 29, 30, May 1. I wanna be somewhat prepared when we get there because in the small boat we are at the mercy of the wind as everyone knows. How long should I make my leaders???? Should I use a ball bearing swivel for the spoons on the riggers? I am either going to launch out of Oswego or the little salmon river. I don't know the lake well and I am going to put in my time and just troll. What should I be looking for? Creek mouths!? Dirty water? Etc. How far back off the boards do you run the sticks? Can you run just plain spoons off the inline boards???? I'm a rookie, so cut me some slack here guys lol. But I do catch stripers on the Hudson like CRAZY this time of year. We put well over 200 in the boat last year, the biggest was 37 lbs. Will definitely trade and share information if that's possible. Thank you in advance guys for reading and giving me a hand if you decide to do so.

Plus when we are up there, anyone that decides to help me out, I have a few adult beverages with your name on them.

You're good to go! Some like light leaders and some don't. I run 10 ft 12 lbs floro leaders with a spro swivel off 20 lbs mono. Def use swivels on your spoons or sticks. Run any of those lures off your boards or a few feet down off the riggers. Use long leads. Look for surface temp changes and dirty water. Good luck!

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

Sounds like you have a good set up going. I also have a 3 plus hour ride , I'm up there every weekend until labor day if you deside to go to oswego that's where I'm docked . I will be more than welcome to help you guys out . :beer: Never been striper fishing maybe we can work something out. ;):beer::beer:

Jersey Jim

Like the others have said it sounds like your good to go with your equipment. Only thing i would add is big split shots or 1 ounce sinkers to get your spoons down a little off of the boards as the day goes on, especially out in the 20-40 fow range. I would mix it up with one side being bright color lures and one side being neutral colors and let the fish tell you what they want. Anywhere from the little salmon to oswego will most likely be good just cover water until you find them. Anywhere from 10 15 fow to 40 fow will be where you want to target. 10 would vary leader length from 50 to 150 feet back. If you can find some stained water off the little creeks or around the points it will most likely be holding some fish.

Thank you all for your help thus far, I am looking forward to the trip and will definitely take all the tips into consideration. Everyone says I should stay between 5 and 15 FOW. should I just move around until I start marking fish on the Lowrance? Or just hang out in the skinny water in the AM then push out during the mid day?? Also the wind was another question. Whats the best wind? Not for waves, but what wind will push bait and trout in tight and what wind will push them off shore a ways?!?!? Thanks again Guys!!!!!!!!

I don't know the lake well
Get yourself a good nautical chart...watch out for thet 5 ft stuff. Good way to lose a prop.

South wind pushes the warm surface water offshore and brings in the cold stuff from out deep. North wind does the opposite.

"General" lake current on the south shore comes from the west and goes to the east, however it hits many "snags" along the way.

Run heavy spoons like NK on the fast side, Stingers can go slow or fast. Start out slow & work the old Zig-zag. Be observant as to which side gets the hit then adjust speed accordingly.

Good luck.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

I run sticks (Thunderstick jr's) off big boards and generally throw a spoon (stinger) down the chute. I use 12# fluoro leaders (same length as the rod), and run them 150' back. In shallow, you don't need to worry about down speed. I usually keep it between 2.1 and 2.9 on the GPS. Using a 90HP 2-stroke outboard, I find I need to use the power trim and tip the motor up a good bit to keep in my speed range at idle. (used bags before, but that makes steering tough).

Early morning, start in 8-12 FOW. Look for tributary mouths and colored water if there is any to be had. My luck is the days I can fish, I end up in gin-clear water :( Bright colors are suited for the colored water and natural colors if it's clear.

As the morning goes on, I move out, eventually into 25-30 FOW. I add snap weights about 50' up from the bait as I move out into deeper water. Split shots will work, but I like the snap weights because you don't have to really stop reeling to remove them when they get to your rod tip - the way I rig them, with a snap at the back end that goes on my main line, they release and slide down to your leader swivel.