using headlamps when trolling shallow for eyes

dremarquis

I'm getting prepared for the walleye opener and have a question for you all.

i often troll shallow stick baits in 5-6 fow and often use a petzl headlamp so i can see what i'm doing (taking weeds of baits, tying knots etc).

do you think that in shallow water wearing/using such a light could disturb the walleye such that they would be less likely to bite as i troll? if so, how do you deal with the problem?

thanks for you opinions,

andre

I was fishing this past summer (river) after dark with no moonlight and as I was leaving, turned on my head lamp and started walking through ~10 inches of water and almost stepped on one about 12 inches. I saw it because those eyes just light right up with a light on them. I think they are really sensitive to it so they probably won't feed with lights on them. I was told that you can use a high powered spotlight to spot them at night because of the glow... maybe thats why we call them eyes?

To answer Andre's question. I would like to fish at night but know it is crucial to have me be dark. I do not fish lakes at night because I haven't had the necessary time to put into knowing the lakes. I do it on the rivers ocassionally because they are much easier to analyze and remember. Like Gambler said, use a light for safety, but keep it out as much as possible.

I fish the St Lawrence at night on a regular basis and often use a spotlight to shine up the eyes and find location. The bright spotllight definately causes the fish to move off nto deeper water. I do use a headlight when fishing and as long as you're not shinning it into the water it has little affect. May want to try a red colored light if you're really worried. t's amazing how shallow fish will got night.

Very nice info on the lamps/walleye fishing issue. It is strange though... When fishing the shallows at the north end of Honeoye after dark right by the little launch area, I have caught 'eyes by the fountain in front of the house, which has (or had) colored lights under the surface... One fish was a nice 5lb. fish. This was not a suddenly moving light from above the water; the lights were stationary, colored, and underwater...plus the "bubbler" action. Sudden moving lights from above possibly triggers a fearful, flight response, rather than a sensitivity to light thing...Don't know; I'll ask the fish about it next time! :P

Very nice info on the lamps/walleye fishing issue. It is strange though... When fishing the shallows at the north end of Honeoye after dark right by the little launch area, I have caught 'eyes by the fountain in front of the house, which has (or had) colored lights under the surface... One fish was a nice 5lb. fish. This was not a suddenly moving light from above the water; the lights were stationary, colored, and underwater...plus the "bubbler" action. Sudden moving lights from above possibly triggers a fearful, flight response, rather than a sensitivity to light thing...Don't know; I'll ask the fish about it next time! :P

8)

I mounted 4 LED accent lights in my boat for this reason. I have not tried them at night to see how much light is given off but they should do the trick. I will report back when I have an answer.

I mounted 4 LED accent lights in my boat for this reason. I have not tried them at night to see how much light is given off but they should do the trick. I will report back when I have an answer.

I fish wallenpaupack in Pa alot at night due to boat traffic we primarily fish lighted docks the light bring's in the bait and the walleyes.But if you are in a dark spot and hit them with alight they don't scatter but it seem's like they don't wanna bite.

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to post this experience from the opener.

I went out for the night bite a two times over the opening weekend. With the full moon the eyes were not spooked by a head lamp at all, for the most part if I spotted them and didn't get too close they could be caught, they were very skiddish of the boat at times.

following weekend, the moon is not nearly as dominant in the sky and the eyes are alot more skiddish of the headlamps. Only fish I caught last week were in the dark, if I spotted the eyes, they would not hit, no matter how far away the boat was, and would slowly leave the area or sink to bottom and hold there.

so yeah, at times head lamps are a bad thing for fishing eyes.

j