help with mercury outboard?

bhotz85

well had trouble last weekend with the boat motor wouldnt start when i changed gas tanks. founfd the problem with silicone in the lines, fixed that got it running. about an hour later my dad decided to try it again and forgot to turn the water on and fried the water pump. fixed that. but now cant get the engine to run seems like its not getting gas. will start when i put starting fluid in the spark plugs then dies. could this be a carb problem? primer prob? or somthing with putting the lower gear housing back on? when it ran with the starting fluid it was pumping water out. thanks for the help in advanced

just put a new primer bulb on the arrows facing the right way checked for a leak couldnt find any. i was told to hold the bulb upright and itll prime better have not tried it yet but have had the boat for 15 years never had to do that

Silicone in the lines??????? Do you mean that sludgey stuff like your gas line has been eaten up with eth-eth-eth-ethanol? If so take a look at your fuel pump. Start the engine and see if it'll run if you continuous pump the bulb?

Tom B.

(LongLine)

thanks for all the replies guys. so heres the scoop i changed all the lines filters and bulb i noticed after 2 pumps of the bulb it was coming out of the carb and out of the air box and still couldnt get it to start , so i let it sit for 15 mins and the engine started but died after 2 mins and could not start it again. so i figured carbs needed to be cleaned i took the carbs off and took them apart they look clean as i can see, jets looked fine. maybe somthing to do with the floats? thanks again

When you had the carbs apart did you pull the needle valves and seats. I know you said things looked clean but did you back flush all of your orifices and cicuits with carb/chock cleaner. I have had 3 friends in the past tell me they pulled the carbs and they were clean and all 3 times when I pulled them apart and started back flushing circuits I found them plugged. You should pull the needle valves and seats, inspect the tips, alot of small engines are having the rubber tip stuck do to ethonal degrading it. You should back flush the idle cuicuits and main jet circuit to include any air bleed emulsion ports. Back flush the needle valve seat back to the fuel inlet. While doing this you will learn the passages of your carbs. Hope this helps or you may have allready hit them.

thanks everybody for the responses. i took the carbs out took them completely apart and. thanks again cleaned everything, changed the gaskets re set the floats put the engine back together and no leak out of the carb the primer bulb stays hard and the engine is running mint cant wait to get out there and slam the browns again

Almost always if the gas is running out of the air box then the float needle and seat has a piece of rubber stuck in it and causing it to flood. My 9.9 yamaha four stroke had that happen form stinkin ethanol farce gas. I also had to replace all the low pressure fuel pumps (3) with rubber diaphrams on the yamaha 225 ox66 because of that crap. Use a good ethanol treatment on every fillup and it will stop the problem. Be sure to run the engine with the treatment before storage. Better yet use non ethanol if you can find it. I like the Lucas brand treatments and fuel supplemental additives.

Mark

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png