Atlantic or Brown.

Browns Tom!...nice catch :yes:

Also a good way to tell is the upper back end of the lip extends behind the eye of the brown trout and the upper back end of the lip on the atlantic is more directly under the eye. Mark

100_1912_1.jpg

free picture hosting

Close up of the Atlantic Paul did a mount of, shows the eye in relation to the end of the upper lip

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Thanks Mark we were thinking Atlantic but when I went to clean them I thought they looked more like browns just really light in color. Every little bit of Knowledge helps thats for sure. :lol:

Thanks Bob also :yes:

Tom

The easist and most effective way for me to tell the difference between browns and atlantics? VOMERINE TEETH!

Located on the roof of the mouth...

Brown trout always have two alternating rows of pronounced vomerine teeth up there, with a group of them forward on the "head" of the vomerine...

Atlantic salmon always have a single row, very light (almost not even noticeable ) with NONE on the "head' of the vomerine...

Hope that helps?

Atlantics are white. The grey color of the outside of the lips end before the jaw teeth, then its all white inside

Coho have some white in their mouths, kings always are mostly black, but variations occur in the coho and make the mouth color deceiving. Best to go by the spotting on the tail between those two and look at the anal fin. Coho is longer from the body and shorter where attached to the body. King is longer where attached to the body and more tapered close to the body. Which doesn't help much if you don't have one of each in the boat to compare. Spots on an Atlantic are x shaped and sparse compaired to a brown trout.

Mark

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png