Which alum. boat would you choose.

Hello I'm interested in buying a new boat and not sure which one to get. I plan to only fish on lake erie, upper/lower niagara and lake ontario. I narrowed my choices down to a Lund pro-v 2025, Lund tyee 1950 and Lund Baron 2150. I am going to use it for salmon/steelhead, smallmouth,walleye and perch. Drifting, trolling, and casting. All year round fishing. Which one would you pick and why. Also how bad will the wind catch the tyee and baron models. Will a drift sock be able to slow it down enough. Sorry for all the questions, just want to make sure i pick the right boat.

Thanks

Hi,

i got a good boat at Bow and stern in north tonawanda.Very good service and good prices. they are the ones to talk to about a aluminum boat.I got a older seanymph from them to replace my old fiberglass boat. It served me for over twenty years . I stripped it and put it all on the seanymph.

The 195 gls seanymph is very popular boat up here in sodus.Very roomy for lake fishing and capable for rough water.

I'm a proud Lund owner and if given a blank check would buy the 2025 IFS in a second flat. Drop a 300 ETEC on the rear and a 9.9 kicker to troll with. Full lowarance HDS 10 for the main and an HDS 8 on the front. Oh and by the way get ready to drop 55k

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

Is the baron an I/O? I have a uncle in law with one and it is an awesome boat to fish from. Either way you go get the longest and widest! It's never long enough. Haha no pun intended.

[ Post made via iPod ] iPod.png

I have a 2005 1950 Tyee Magnum. I've had it in both lakes and the lower niagara, handles both with ease. Easy to tow all over WNY. I love it and its the perfect boat for me. Its the only boat I've owned so I don't have much to compare it with but I've had it out in both lakes in waves 4ft +. Handeled them fine and I was never nervous or concerned. I wouldn't like to fish all day in those conditions, but got me back to the dock no problems.

I too was looking at large aluminum boats, but with more ammenities a few months back. I ended up with a Hewescraft 26' Pacific Cruiser. Make sure you check out their models too. They make numerous models of aluminum boats with some real nice options and aren't priced any higher than your Lund will be. They're real nice people to deal with. There is a dealer around Chicago, but I ordered mine from Tom-N-Jerrys boats in Washington State. The money I saved dealing with them more than offset the additional shipping price.

http://www.tomnjerrys.net/inventory.html

Here's the Hewescraft site and the Ocean Pro model, which is real nice.

http://www.hewescraft.com/

http://www.hewescraft.com/mid-size-ocean-boats/oceanpro_boat?p=1.1.4.2

How far away from shore

How far out & then how far will you need to run along the shoreline to get into your harbor in a quick 4 to 6'chop ?

With over 25 years on the big O, I've never seen a "quick" 4'-6' chop and if your not paying attention enough to your surroundings that it has built to a 6' chop I don't care what boat your in your going to have problems. The 19' Pro V Se I run can more than handle almost ANYTHING the lake can dish out .... yes I my get wet but, even in 6' seas over 350' of water the only limits are the occupants in the boat.

I have the 1900 pro v and love it . Handles most everything. I used to own a tracker targa and it could not handle the waves. I got rid of it after several cracks and welds to the hull. The all welded hull can not handle the stress that lake erie can bring. I will never buy another one. The Pro V is everything an all species fisherman could want. My only regret is not buying a 36 volt trolling motor. I went with a 24 volt i pilot terrova which for most people is fine but when on the niagara or erie during a windy day,I find myself wishing I had the 36 volt. I fish for pretty much everything around the western NY and finger lake area ( from perch to trolling for salmon) and the Pro V is the best fishing boat i've ever owned or been on.

I will agree that the trackers are GARBAGE!!! I looked at a few used ones before i bought my Lowe. One already had a couples holes in the bottom. Have you looked at the Lowes? I've had mine out in snotty seas. They are a lot less money than the Lund's. But, i can't see anything being better than the Starcraft Fishmaster. That will be my next craft.

I will agree that the trackers are GARBAGE!!! I looked at a few used ones before i bought my Lowe. One already had a couples holes in the bottom. Have you looked at the Lowes? I've had mine out in snotty seas. They are a lot less money than the Lund's. But, i can't see anything being better than the Starcraft Fishmaster. That will be my next craft.

My 18.5' Lowe has taken one hell of a beating on LO and Erie and has never had a problem. The only issue is that the sides are so low that there are real problems stabilizing yourself to rig or fight fish in 4-5 seas. I've had it out in 6+ footers and never felt like I was in any danger.

The Baron and the Tyee share the same transom, that is to say they have a higher gunnels off the waterline. Something to think about if your multi species fishing. I can reach over the side and grab a fish if I have too. My father has a Starcraft superfisherman and its a nice boat but, its no LUND ......... :P:lol::P:lol:

i have an 1950 with 225 yamaha, love the boat! i upgraded from a mr pike17 and after having lower sides with the mr pike, i wanted something higher than the pro v offered, but i fish bass, muskie and a little walley and the 1950 was not too high up on the front casting deck, compared to the baron, happy searching!

• Like 1

Crestliner now, rivets and cracked chines have changed me. Eigth boat now with four years in the Coast Guard Boarding Officer experience and fourteen years commercial fishing on Lake Erie in small boats. Nothing beats a trailer boat going down the I90 at sixty five MPH.