Are there any fish at Lake Ontario & St. Lawrence River ?

That's opening weekend of Walleye and Northern Pike, and the St. Lawrence is about as good as it gets. There are also brown trout over towards Black River bay mixed in with the Walleye. Nearly all of the boats up there will be keyed on Walleye and Pike. Just watch the boundary with Canada as there were some sporty times with Canadian Customs last year. Also, don't be tempted with the shallows around Fox and Grenadier Islands. The area is referred to as Hard Scrabble and it has been the graveyard of many a lower unit.

That's opening weekend of Walleye and Northern Pike, and the St. Lawrence is about as good as it gets. There are also brown trout over towards Black River bay mixed in with the Walleye. Nearly all of the boats up there will be keyed on Walleye and Pike. Just watch the boundary with Canada as there were some sporty times with Canadian Customs last year. Also, don't be tempted with the shallows around Fox and Grenadier Islands. The area is referred to as Hard Scrabble and it has been the graveyard of many a lower unit.

My family has a place on the water up there, looking out right between the two islands. I spent most of my summers up there as a kid - and this is correct. Very very dicey with long shoals off of points, and boulders littered around the islands.

Ya if you are in the Chaumont bay area Be sure to pick up a topo map of the area. They are worth their weight in gold. Cherry Island has a long shoal with large boulders after it on the SW end.

Thank you Chas & Carp.

Looks like Wendsday or Thursday if they get & install the Wander Fin on the boat. I picked up a heavy saltwater spinning out fit. I am also waiting for a clip release to use on the Dipsey Diver. Many years ago ??

I used to use the rubber bands as releases. But I was not getting a lot of solid hookups at +-150' down in a N J lake. they would hold it for 3 to 10 seconds & release it. True, I was using 6# to 8# mono right to the lures with the rubber bands.