Braided line for Dipsey set up

Hey guys, I'm pretty new to Salmon fishing "old walleye fisherman converting".

I am in the process of changing my Dipsey set ups to braided line and had a few questions.

First of all, Is this a good alternative to a wire diver set up or not? How much additional line

do you need to put out to reach the same depths as wire? I have a pretty tight

budget for the rest of the year, I just picked up a graph "humminbird 788ci hd DI" hope it works as advertized.

So being a little drained, the wire diver set ups look to be a bit pricey "and dangerous" for the weekend warrior.

What brands for braids would you recommend and work best? How do they handle the Fleas? That stuff is pretty pricey too,

so do you use a backer line or spool the whole reel with the braid? How many yards per reel and poundage reccomended?

Special knots needed? Thanks in advance.

Wire on fire!!! The signiture that wire puts out attacts bites. I pulled 30lb fireline for years while fighting the fleas. Put wire on and the dispsys actually became the dominate producers. I think you can get 2 1000 ft spoools of 30lb malinwire from bretts on the bay for 74$.

We were new to wire last year and Malin 7 staid 30# worked well for us beginners. I reseached this last year and it appeared malin had the most positive reports. Put wire on what you have, Keep an eye on your tips for grooves and give it a whirl. Even though I just put twillys on my new rigs my friend pointed out that for the most part that eyelet is pointed right back at the dipsey and doesn't even have a bend on the wire while trolling. He isn't putting twillys on his so we can watch them.

We're running wire for the first time this season, set up one pole with Torpedo 7 strand and bought one already rigged with Torpedo 19 strand. It's the least expensive and had the highest breaking strength on a wire comparison video posted on Youtube.

We'll form our own opinion and go from there. The standby choices seem to Mason and Malin with AFW a close third; torpedo wire is the newcomer on the block. I noticed prices went up 5 - 10% across the board this season for wire.

Go with wire and never look back you will be very happy with your choice all you have to do is flick the line and the fleas will fall off and the ones that do not will get cut off at your rod tip as you reel up. Just be sure to check for kinks often and re-tie if needed try to use the best ball bearing swivels you can afford with it, you don't want wire twisting. I would have to say that 80 percent of my fish come off wire rods. You would definetly be taking the braid off in july if you were to use that, it can be a nightmare when the fleas get heavy during warm months.

I use Torpedo 30 lb, 7 strand. 19 strand is a lot more expensive, and I don't think it's necessary. I never had one break off all of last year on this wire line. It is flexible and spools nicely.

1000 ft on each reel.

I agree with what the other guys are saying. Braid is okay from May - June. July to mid August the fleas will render your braid useless. You will not be able to reel in your line and lose everything. After mid-Aug the fleas disapear and you can use braid again. If you have wire, you have no problem all season long.

Mark

Im not sure why folks here are so confident that braid is a flea magnet. I have run 80 lb braid (same diameter as 30lb mono) for over ten years and although it does pick up some fleas, most fall off when reeling in. Those that make it to the rod tip fall off when they get to the tip. I like the fact that the braid has no stretch and I can "pop" a release with 300 feet of line out with the flip of the wrist.

I agree with Mortigan and the reason they are running those is for thier thinness to get down deeper. It would make perfect sence that 80lb braid which is the dia. of 30lb. mono would be as flealess as the 30lb mono. In that case ya might as well run 30lb mono at a cheaper price. They aren't running braid and wire for tensil strength. They are runnig it to get as deep as they can with dipseys.

I was skimming the dipsy section of Keating & Porter's "Great Lakes Salmon and Trout Fishing" this morning. If I remember correctly, they mentioned mono dipsies for getting down 30 - 40 ft, braid for 30 - 80 and wire 60 to 140. They did make a point though that both braid and wire can be run shallow as well and the harmonics are different. The fish will choose what they like best from day to day.

I've watched the rigging video on the FishDoctor site but I haven't tried them yet. I only own two Walker 107s at this point; maybe I'll grab a pair of the Slides to compare this season.

I forgot about being able to release them with mono. I ran mono before braid and I reeled in quite a few in unreleased cause they wouldn't release. I have also ran slide divers. I had 75ft of mono with the slide diver on it, then 30lb fireline. I wonder if anyone ties mono to wire and uses slide divers with long leads?

I forgot about being able to release them with mono. I ran mono before braid and I reeled in quite a few in unreleased cause they wouldn't release. I have also ran slide divers. I had 75ft of mono with the slide diver on it, then 30lb fireline. I wonder if anyone ties mono to wire and uses slide divers with long leads?

yes, connect the wire/mono with a #8 spro power swivel 20 feet of mono/FC seems about optimal.

yes, connect the wire/mono with a #8 spro power swivel 20 feet of mono/FC seems about optimal.

Ok so here's an interesting question, I took the plunge and ordered a couple of Okuhma blue diamond dipsey rods

with the roller guides along with a couple of 1000' spools of 30 lb torpedo wire. I have a pair of convectors I want to try

to use at first and was wondering if they were big enough, so I start researching line diameters to get a idea of how each one compared to

mono. I found that Ande 30# mono is .022 dia, the 30# Torpedo wire is .015 and Power pro braid is thinnest at .011.

Everything I read says wire goes deeper than braid, which is to me a bit puzzeling because you would think with a smaller diameter

there would be less drag thru the water. So why is it wire goes deeper? Is it the actual weight difference between the lines?

I'm pretty sure I did the right thing going with the wire rigs, just a nevous rookie. One other thing, what knot do you use to tie the wire

on to the spool and to the swivel?

Thanks again guys and we hope to get out this Sunday near Wilson!! Good luck to anyone else who goes out!! Wre'e Stoked!! Tight Lines..

The wire sinks, so it goes deepest. You'll need either some braid backing on the reel (I've read 20 passes) or a few wraps of duct or electrical tape on the spool so the wire doesn't spin. You can just tie an overhand knot to the spool - some put tape over that as well. Here's a video for the wire knot: http://www.fishdoctorcharters.com/templ ... ctor=video

Good luck. We'll be out of Sandy Creek Sunday am.