Penn 209 for copper.

So I have found a decent deal on some old Penn 209's and was thinking about buying them for some budget copper set ups. With them being to be able to hold 320yd/20lb I've calculated that they could hold 300' of .028 copper and 310 yd of 20lb Power Pro for backing. Is 20lb Power Pro just too thin for backing? Thanks.

No, I've got them on riggers rods with mono.

Speaking of a good deal, mine were Craigslist specials. Never break up with a woman and leave your gear in her basement - I got both rods and reels for a total of ten bucks :rofl:

From what I've read, most use 30 - 50 lb powerpro, setting up to run up to 600' copper. I've never set up for copper but if you're only running 300' copper, 20lb powerpro might be able to handle it.

I have 6 of the Penn 209 but no copper on them. They are slow like mentioned. Putting 300 feet of 30 lb. Copper on one will be a push, but you might be able to do it. I would recommend 30 lb power pro backing. Also the small line guide on those reels is hard to pass your leader to copper connection through. I have a Penn 309 spooled with 600 ft of 30 lb copper and 300 yds 30 lb power pro and that is very full. Be careful not to get it too full and rub on the guide or the braces. In my own experience with that reel I would not consider it for copper. Not saying it won't work but there are some better choices for that work. However sometimes you got to use what ya got.

Mark

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png