7 or 19 strand wire?

I use AFW 30 lbs stainless 7-strand in camo. I bought mine from the A-tom-mic MFG website already spooled on daiwa sealine reels. He also sells spools of AFW or Torpedo wire. I believe bass pro and cabelas carries it also. I order my michigan stinger spoons from fish307.com

I'm new to wire as well. I bought a spool of torpedo 19 strand smoke because you can tie it like fishing line and it is pretty flexible. It is $50 for 1000' however, so I spooled my 2 reels with 400' of 50# Power Pro and split the spool with 500' of wire on each reel. You have to connect the wire with a nail knot, which you can search online for directions. As for spoons, look in the classifieds. There's always someone selling alot of spoons.

I'm new to wire as well. I bought a spool of torpedo 19 strand smoke because you can tie it like fishing line and it is pretty flexible. It is $50 for 1000' however, so I spooled my 2 reels with 400' of 50# Power Pro and split the spool with 500' of wire on each reel. You have to connect the wire with a nail knot, which you can search online for directions. As for spoons, look in the classifieds. There's always someone selling alot of spoons.

From what I've read, that's going to create problems for you once the fleas come out. :(

Mortigan,

I imagine he is only going to have 350ft max of wire out during the troll and the braid will only hit the water on fish that rip all his wire out and will be recoverd on to the reel in a short time. Probably won't collect much fleas during that recovery time.

I use 7 strand wire for my dipsies, 1000' of wire on each reel. In past years I used the steel colored wire, and this year I respooled with camo colored wire.

I've seen the 19 strand, and it's a much larger diameter than the 7 strand, and will have an affect on the dive capability of the dipsy. That's why I stuck with 7 strand, small diameter will dive deeper than the larger.

As for tieing knots with 7 strand, search the forum and you'll find the information. The knot you tie with 7 strand wire is one of the easiest fishing knots you'll ever tie.

I tryed to run 600' of wire plus backer and had a solmon run out about 590' on the first run, I could see the knot. The next run the knot cough on the twilly tip and broke off. :( . 600' of wire, diver,spindoc and fly gone. Thats about $70 out the window.that afternoon I stopped at Dicks and found 1000' of 7strand for $29.00. Remember if you let out 300' of wire to get down 80'to 100' a good fish will ripe the knot through the tip and even a little hangup will break you off.Good luck.

You should be using roller tips on all wire rods, with a twilli tip its metal to metal and it can fray any stranded wire im not saying it will happen every time but if has happened to myself and a few buddies. I like the torpedo roller tip its got a very good design and the wire cannot jump off the roller.

You should be using roller tips on all wire rods, with a twilli tip its metal to metal and it can fray any stranded wire im not saying it will happen every time but if has happened to myself and a few buddies. I like the torpedo roller tip its got a very good design and the wire cannot jump off the roller.

You don't need Twilli-Tips or EXPENSIVE roller rods for wire fishing. We ran rods with neither for many years and never had fraying problems. Does a roller rod or just a simple Twilli-Tip take some of the resistance of the wire coming through that first eye of the rod away? ABSOLUTELY! However, it's not needed for someone getting into wire fishing.

I hear horror stories all the time about lost gear on wire due to breaking off, and fraying issues. Here is my two cents. Stick to a good 7 strand wire like Mason or Malin. We use AFW, but it pig tails very easily because of it's thin diameter, and for a beginner I wouldn't recommend it. If you are anal about one thing on your boat make it your wire combos. DON'T let any bit of slack get into that wire. That's where kinks come from. Check your wire before every trip to make sure there is no kinks in it.

Ive got twilli tips on my wire diver rods that are 12 years old and have NEVER had that happen and before your post today, never even heard of it happening with twilli tips. One of the big reasons for the twilli tip is the gradual curve the spring gives it at the tip. The last time I replaced my wire (30 lb Malin) the old wire was 6 or 7 season old and the only reason I replaced the wire was because it was starting to get a little short. The only stories I've ever heard about wire fraying was some of the early 19 strand torpedo wire, but AFAIK, they fixed that issue.

Tim