Coated Cable and Scotty's

Jack

Anyone running coated cable on a Scotty down-rigger for a DR. Was wondering if the beads for the auto stop work on the coated cable and how well the cable holds up.

Thanks JT

No problems with thestop beads or cable.

You do want to use a special solid antenna for the Scotty riggers as the stop beads WILL tear up the spring antennas.

Glen

The Depth Raider antenna has a large enough diameter that the scotty beads fit right through just fine. However there is another workaround where you cut the coil off near the plastic insulator and attach it to a solid metal pickup from the scotty black box. fish307.com has some tutorials on their site on how to set that up.

Torpedo Diver now has a stainless cable with the copper electrode running on the inside that eliminates the exterior nylon coating. It was the old temp sense cable from Walker that the bought the rights to. They also have an antenna that when used with their cable has been down over 400' without losing signal. They are currently working on a larger diameter antenna to address the scotty autostop bead issue and once they have that on the market, I think I'm going to give it a shot.

I don't mind the coated cable as much as a lot of people seem to, but if I can eliminate it and the additional drag/blowback, I'll give it a shot.

Tim

Tim,

Do you really need the coated cable? I have the cannon speed/temp...says its good on regular DR cable to 100 feet.

Its rigged on Scotty 2116

I was hoping to not have to put the coated cable on the rigger....

You think it makes a worthwhile difference above 100 feet depth?

Thanks for your advice..

Mike

Tim,

Do you really need the coated cable? I have the cannon speed/temp...says its good on regular DR cable to 100 feet.

Its rigged on Scotty 2116

I was hoping to not have to put the coated cable on the rigger....

You think it makes a worthwhile difference above 100 feet depth?

Thanks for your advice..

Mike

Mike,

I'm sorry, I have no idea. I've never tried running my Depth Raider on an uncoated cable.

Tim

I also use the auto stop beads on my Scotty's with the coated D/R cable.

I covered the bead with shrink tubing and CAREFULLY heated the shrink tubing to encase the bead in its own little cocoon.... slides through the antenna smooth as silk..

Jim S.

I covered the bead with shrink tubing and CAREFULLY heated the shrink tubing to encase the bead in its own little cocoon.... slides through the antenna smooth as silk..

Jim S.

Good idea!!

• 3 weeks later...

Jim S.

Good idea!!

NOW that's a good idea for all the cables!!!

Thank you!!