LAT/LONG (GPS Cords):

===============

FISHING RESULTS

===============

Total Hits: 5

Total Boated:3

Species Breakdown:Browns

Hot Lure: 42 Second

Trolling Speed: 1.8-3.2 depending on the wave (GPS)

Down Speed:

Boat Depth: 10-30

Lure Depth: 5-20

====================

SUMMARY & FURTHER DETAILS

====================

The Hunt:

12 yr old Austin traveled from Syracuse Friday night with his mom to stay the weekend and go on his first hunt ever. As the sun came up so did the wind and rain but the gobbling was non-existent. After about 30 minutes of nothing a hen appeared in a field behind us. I called her in and she fed contently with the pretty boy and pretty girl decoys 15yds in front of Austin and my friend Bill. I sat behind them with his mom to call. After playing with the hen for about 20 minutes we heard a gobble and looked up to see a gobbler about 300yds out in the field. He had already keyed in on the decoys and was making a beeline. At 7:20 only 30yds from Austin the bird strutted, gobbled once and proceeded to approach the strutting decoy for combat. As he rounded the decoy with an outstretched neck, Austin used his new 20ga. 1100 to take his first turkey, first animal of any kind! The bird weighed in at 20.5lbs, had a 9 3/4" beard, and 1" spurs. The resulting floppage and excitement made for some missing tail and body feathers but that didn't matter to any of us. Wet turkey's make for horrible pictures but here it is!

DSC_0013.jpg

Austin_1.jpg

The Fishing:

We cleaned the bird, grabbed the boat and were on the water by 10am. We set up right out of the channel with 3 lines on each board pulling a wide variety of colors back 85-120' and two riggers with NBK and 42 Second spoons back 75'. Just a little bit East of Oklahoma Beach the 42 Second spoon down 20 over 30 FOW fired and Austin was sitting in the chair fighting his first Lake O brown. Didn't weigh it but it was about a 8lb fish probably. He wanted to put it back so we only took one quick picture. Next the same rod fired but we missed the fish as we handed the rod to Austin's mom. Then a firetiger off the starboard took a shot and his mom landed a cookie cutter. As we neared Hedges Austin took another fish off the 42 Second spoon down 5 over 12' fow. That fish was a nice 5lber. All were released quickly and we decided to throw in the towel to avoid any negativity to the day (they were getting cold and wet). Austin topped off his day by getting to steer the boat with Capt. Bill as we (carefully, and slowly) made our way back to the bay.

Austin_3.jpg

Needless to say, I think we have him hooked...but we may have ruined him at the same time.

What an AWSOME day Austin!! my hat off to dad & MOM for being involved with your child! both hunting & fishing, keep him interested in the outdoors it makes for a great family! I have twin girls that love to fish and can't wait to get on the big pond. Tight lines to all,be safe. PAP

Those memories are going to be etched in his mind forever.. Well done!!!

I wish I had someone taking me out turkey hunting at age 12...

I was fortunate to have a father who loved to fish, so we spent endless hours together out on the boat. Those are the best memories I have of him!!