Walleye ?

Xxx

With this weird weather I was wondering if the walleyes will still be in the bays or headed for deeper waters, I usually fish the black river bay area but that area has been going down hill for a couple of years lately, in the late 80's early 90's it was nothing to catch a limit of nice size eyes but that's all changed, I usually troll down towards pillier point, then towards chamount bay, If you guys know of a better area and wouldn't mind sharing some info that would be great, I manage to catch a few but never a full ticket, I troll worm harnesses & stinger spoons orange and monkey puke allways worked for me, what do you guy's use? thanks for any input. Tight lines to all. PAP

pap, there is a thread in the toothy section. A bunch of guys are heading for the bays on the 5th. I have no experience on the bays (eyes), however, I noticed a lot of change already this year with respect to how the walleyes are acting elsewhere. In a lot of places they were finished spawning before the rainbows. If the weather remains cool, I think they will hold in shallower water going for the easy meals. If it gets warm again like March, I think they will be going deep. Be prepared to do both.

Guys going by tradition may be disappointed this year. I have already changed my fishing habits to adapt to this warmer than usual winter/spring. I am waiting to see what the weather is going to do before I comitt to fishing anywhere specific on the 5th.

tight lines...

Joe

Well this week will keep them pulled in with the temps in the lower to mid 40s. My father-in-law and I have been wondering the same thing. Generally we fish the month of May in the bays then start heading out towards deeper water on our trolls to find them in mid April. I think we should be fine in the bays but I have a feeling the fish are going to be a little bit bigger than usual because of the early spawn. Good luck and tight lines!

Chas

I know the feeling. In Chaumont if you catch 6 walleyes in a day you are doing really well. On a normal day we will catch around 4 walleyes about 6-8lbs. All them are by trolling stickbaits. I like the trout action more than walleye but the trout move into deeper water quickly so I have no choice to move onto walleye or invest a lot more money into equipment, and gas to get out deeper.