Cape cod??

Wondering if any of you guys ever go to the cape fishing and may have some input on places to stay or if it is worth me towing the boat there? I am trying to get my anniversary plans in place for August with the wife and dog, wanted to maybe get some me time in!!

Thanks for any info.

Pretty much everywhere is nice on the Cape. Definitely bring your boat. Fishing in Aug. is excellent, much to offer. If you said what part of the Cape you were planning to go I might be able to recommend a few places. Not all are boat friendly so you need to make sure they have enough room for parking when you check them out. I am lucky enuf to know a guy that keeps his boat there so we were never concerned with parking a rig.

Spike

I go there almost every year!

Nickerson State park is the best ,the cheapest and the most Boat friendly place to camp,but you must order your spot now. It has several ponds where you can canoe or swim or fish if the sea is too rough.It has easy access to both the Ocean and the bay.No extra charge for boats,the showers are free,the camping spots are large and it has a camping store with reasonable prices.Your overall expense will be about a third of what any other camping will cost and it is way better!

As for fishing, if the bay is too rough,you can go to the ocean or the other way around.

In August you will not do too well on the stripers,but the blue fish is very good and so is the bonito and if you have a good boat you can run up Stellwagen bank for tuna or cod! One year we jumped over to the bank and got stuck in a huge pot of whales feeding all around us.

Go and enjoy!

FH000008.jpg

FH000010.jpg

FH000011.jpg

FH000016.jpg

FH000009.jpg

FH000017.jpg

FH000021.jpg

FH000024.jpg

nickerson is nice and inexpensive as stated ,bring good mosquito repellent and bycycles if ya can but kinda tuff with a boat and camper (towing)..................................WAIT DUDE JUST READ ANNAVESARY PLANS ,,SKIP THE BOAT.....you can fish anytime..

If you have a camper look up Sweetwater campground ...great place ..on site kennel if ya do a alldayer and need the dog sitted with great staff...(brewster area) also orleans is a good central area for the outer cape......ya need to see :::First encounter beach (free after 5pm)) for sunset AND L O W TIDE..."P"town is a good day trip , whale watch boats in that area or Wellfleet, bring yer bikes as 20 mi bike trail in that area...(orleans)

:brewster)

if yer beachers and gonna be doing several beach trips look into the "national seashore pass" kinda pricy but give you the freedom to check out all the nat . beaches ,,,early is key to some of these.get ready for some crazy driving and be prepared to (HelpAnother driver get out on the road ...youll understand real quick do some homework and if ya got questions a few of us will help ya sort yer time..............now if ya dont want a whole lot more anny, or yer wife is a fisherman go with 1 st paragraph

This thread brings up memories of going to the Cape all the time as a kid till I was 9, growing up in Beantown. Also went there a few times while going to college in same town. Tried some fishing in a pond near Sandwich without much success. I understand the freshwater fishing for bass and some trout is pretty good... there are a # of ponds on the Cape. I know there is some good bluefishing in the salt. Can't offer a lot of help accept check out Onthewater.com and get a subscription to their digital magazine (the New England edition; they also publish a New York/New Jersey edition U can get at Wegmans), which, for only 15 bucks a year is well worth it. It has a ton of great info and links keying in on mostly salt water fishing, but always with a couple of sweetwater articles every month....Good homework for all kinds of fishing related stuff. Have fun on the Cape.....Rolmops-exellent whale pics!

ok, thanks guys, sounds like i should just hook the camper and go and leave the boat at home for the first trip until i figure stuff out. maybe i will book a charter if i feel the need to put some fish in the box!!! i appreciate the replies.

I made 4 trips there. All in late Aug. Take the boat!! Each trip I caught as many stripers as my hands and arms could handle, up to 30 lbs. We used 1 1/2 oz saltwater jigs that I cast and tipped them with 6" sluggos. The Arkansas shiner pattern was all that was needed. For rods we used 7' medium heavy spinning rods with 10 lb Big Game. We drifted water depths of 15 -30 ft. We launched out of Chatham and rented a house there for the week.