What is your Go-To lure??

Guppy35

What size senko and what size hook. do most of you prefer wacky or traditional style?

I like to use a range. Smaller worms (~4") for smaller fish with smaller hooks (4s, 6s).

Larger or more aggressive fish, I use larger worms (~6") and larger hooks (1/0s, 2s).

Hook size is important because the fish are hitting on the drop, so if they feel it and don't like it will have time to spit it before you feel them on, hence - no hook set. Goto small and the hook could miss everything - hence no hook set/

I have caught smallies on Wacky rigs, but I usually reserve them for largemouths. Therefore, I recommend a size 2 hook with a larger worm. My goto is green pumpkin. I have a few variations, but the package that says grn pmpkn is the one that is lightest. I do not fish crystal clear or turbid water so this color works best for me. Find a pond with a lot of bass and this is a great way to get someone into fishing. Easy to cast, retrieve, and the bass do most of the work. I am putting together a fishing lesson just for teaching youngsters how to do this so they can see how easy it is to catch fish like the pros. This post reminds me of that I need to get working on it.

I didn't mention line. A lot of people go with braid when using a wacky rig. I use 4 or 6lb mono. I thought about running a leader off braid, but decided against it for casting accuracy. I will be casting to a spot - not an area. I don't want braid because I feel the fish will see it and I don't like the way it floats. Why would this be a dilemma is because I am fishing heavy underwater weed structure as well as lili pads. Average bass are caught easily, but everytime I get a lunker, it wraps me around a weed structure and pops off. Why 4 or 6 lb. I am doing some serious distance casting. I usually fish with a beatle spin (BS in my BS Master name) until I hear a feeding largemouth. It sounds much different than the small fish eating insects. This is when I determine how close I am and where I need to be to be in casting range if not already. I pick up my other pole and always (100%) get a strike from a bass that has made its presence known by feeding. I think everyone understands structure and how fish like openings so I won't go into that.

I fish the drop and kinda walk the dog with the worm if it doesn't get hit right away. I don't feel the fish until I set the hook. I watch the line. The worm will sink so line will take off, however, it always falls at a steady rate. When the bass hits it, it accellerates. Fish on! So watch your line and let the bass do all the work.

Biggest tip I can tell you is keep your boats off the bass. I watched this happen last year. I was hammering bass all morning last year and guys were complaining about not getting anything and then I started watching them fish and saw them run their boats thru the hot spots. This is bad. keep casting distance away from them. This time of year, the fish are still on inland structure. Keep the boats out deep and fish inwards. Dock fishing, don't step on the dock until you have cast out along it a few times. Good luck everybody. I am going to be working on some new presentations for bass this year. Hopefully I will come up with a new goto lure/presentation.

Yeah BSmaster...I like that one about casting around the docks if shore fishing before walking them. And cast back before you leave said dock or pier. Bass love to hang around and under these and can be caught on the way back off said structure... They may often not B as spooky as U might (and should) believe. Beetle Spin? I, of course, thought it stood for U know what! :D