atlantics and streamers

hey gentlemen. ive been reading quite a bit about success with trolling streamer flies for landlocks. i have a bunch of streamers i bought a few years ago at a garage sale that i have never used and am gonna give a try when i finally get to do my 2012 shakedown. i was wondering how exactly are they trolled. of riggers with a flasher? off the planer boards? dipseys? im assuming they do best in the shallows off planers but what is the most popular method to get them to sink off the boards as i imagine they would just rip across the very top if no weight is in front of them? as always gentlemen thanks for any reply. i learn a whole lot on this forum.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Mobile%20Device.png

Small splitshot just behind the propwash ....... or so I've heard!

Flatlined .................

This is productive. I've run them off boards also. Run them fast. You can sink them a bit or just let them skip. Impacts from the fish is like top water bass fishing. Blast to watch. Good luck. Seneca has a ton of weeds still around. Makes out tough...

Nick

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

I killed them April 5th on Cayuga. Was using big streamers with 3 hooks and home made mylar trolling flys. Run 100 to 150 feet back. No lead needed. You could but I don't. The thing to remember is with calm water and Sun it will be a waste of time doing it. You don't need the boards to do it. Oh the flys I tied are like the ones you would use for a flasher.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

....... Run 100 to 150 feet back. No lead needed. You could but I don't. The thing to remember is with calm water and Sun it will be a waste of time doing it. You don't need the boards to do it. Oh the flys I tied are like the ones you would use for a flasher.

dido skipjack ^.

One other thing you can do is add a bead chain 4'-6' ahead of the fly. It will help sink the fly just below the surface and also will stop some of the weeds if they are not to bad

Streamers are best in early spring. A sinking fly line works the best early in the year.. 1 to 2 colors of leadcore also works. If you are using momo you may want to add a little weight. I have Jiggers on my boat and use wire in them. Fish shallow waterto and near shore and the mouth of streams. Shallow bays are good areas. If you have enough rods in the water always run one in the prop wash this can be on a rigger set at 1 to 3 feet down 5 to 30 ft back or just a flat line skimming the top. Landlocks are not boat shy. If you catch one always turn back thru that area. Go fast and in an S pattern most days. . . I gennerally fish them 3 to 5mph. As far as streamers go bright patterns like the Canapache, Maynards Marvel These are Golden Pheasabt patterns and a Flouresant Gray Ghost are my top 3. Natural patters for me are Joes Smelt, Merideth Special, Needle Smelt,and Gray Gohst . Overcast days or choppy days seem the best. afternoons can be very productive.