Controlling your trolling speed?

My brother has a trolling plate from cabelas on his islander and it keeps breaking shear pins, even when used properly. at high speeds the plate bounces and breaks the pin from shaking too much. It works great when in the down position though.

A couple of bags is a great option, its simple and fairly cheap.

Some people will swear by those trolling plates, but I've had a couple, and all I do is swear AT them. I went to two Amish outfitter trolling bags a few years ago and have been very happy. I can't remember how it was described, but I opted for the bag with the reinfored opening.

I agree that the Amish Outfitter bags are probably the best way to go, but I also run a plate and have no problems with it. The Cabelas plates don't hold up! I run an "easy troller".. which replaced the old "happy troller". Actually, the plate bolts right up to the Happy Troller bracket. Being hinged allows it to flex if it needs to.. without breaking pins or bending. It really does work.. been running the same one for several years. Here's the link.. http://www.ironwoodpacific.com/products ... roller.htm , Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)

GB,

the Cabela's Pro Angler Bags are drift socks, not trolling bags. They are meant to hang over the side of a non-powered boat to control a drift, not trolling. I don't believe they will ever hold up to the strain that sustained hours of trolling wuill subject them to.

Tim

these from big papa sportfishing are also quite popular. I haven't used em so I can't comment on the quality first hand.

http://www.bigpapasportfishing.com/trolling_bags.htm

My opinion, either the beefy bags or the buggy bags from Amish are probably a more durable product. I know my beefy bags are so overbuilt it's not funny.

Tim

• 2 months later...

If anyone was to go with a plate, which one would you recommend?

I have seen the two below and the Easy Troller seems to be better quality.

Easy Troller w/ fins, or the Happy Troller??

http://www.hannaysmarine.com/2007_hanna ... ge0254.htm

I really don't have the room to mess with bags. I bought some and they are still in the package.

Ok I have a question for any one that's want's to answer I have a 19 foot lund I can troll down to .5 mph so That is not an issue My question is when I'm trolling with the waves I have a reel hard time controlling my speed would a pair of trolling bags help me here or will I get waves over the back of the boat.I also heard that the bags help with the side to side rocking of the boat.Any info on these would be great Thanks in advance. :D

erby one small 18" bag should keep ya in check less its a 20 mph tail wind ,if not put out more rods .dont count on it for the rocking besides the more ya rock the better the action at the ball,and if your rocking that bad you ant running your lines strait behind the boat due to side winds and drift ,which ant too good of a thing to do(so im told),also if its a west wind and your heading north put bag on port to help stay course a little better .hey is this a trick you been on that pond a lot longer than most.now i feel like a idiot oh wait i am one whew..

I learned the hard way....those bags won't hold up. I should have posted like you did this past spring, but didn't and bought two of the same bags you purchased. One is torn almost in half....it only lasted about 4 or 5 trips.

Yo Ray,

This is no trick.Yes I have been on the pond a long time(1982) but I learn every time I'm on this site.I would have loved a site like this in the 80's.I learned more from this site in the few years I have been on it than the past 15 years with out it.I have always just delt with the waves and wind but It's going to be a long winter and I always wanted to try the bags but never have so this is why I'm asking.I thought I read somewhere that the bags do help a little on the side to side action of the boat.I think I would buy 2 bags for more control overall I'm not sure I'm hoping some one with my size boat will chime in.Thanks for the reply I keep all that is told to me in the back of my mind so I here ya ;)

• 1 month later...

I use 2 5 gal. buckets. Drilled a doorknob hole in each side near the bottom and throw them over the side. They're measured so they come to midpoint on each side of the boat. They get me down to 1.3 and work beautiful on my 22' Islander. ;)

I've used the buckets for years on Lake George with a lot of success. They are cheap and easy. If you don't drill the holes or forget to bring them in, they can break off at 30mph! Not that that ever happened to me!!?? :shock:

Good luck,

Shawn