Stick bait question

mcny

I am getting back into fishing after bieng away from it for 20 years and I am trying to refill my tackle boxes. I would like to know if I should spend the money on Rapalas for spring Trout and Salmon or if less expensive brands work just as well? Thanks

Trout & salmon will destroy a Rapala faily quickly, however they are fish catching lures, if you don't mind replacing them they are good. I use the two brands noted above, as they are good fish catchers as well & will outlast a Rapala many times over.

hmmm...rapala has more world records than any other artificial bait ever produced. i stand behind rapala's. rapala's dont always outfish the others but its more often than not. also i dont understand how a rapala wont last as long as a smithwick or thunderstick. the husky jerk is almost same construction. i have many many lures but alot of pictures on my wall have a rapala swingin in the background somewhere.

Thanks for the input. I am on my way to Gander right now to stock up. I'll get some of the ones mentioned above and wash some of each untill aa pattern develops. Thanks Again.

King:

I was speaking about the balsa stuff, & I never said that they don't catch fish, I just said that they don't last long with large fish chewing on them. It isn't too hard to have lots of records when you are making the larger percentage of stick baits out there for the longest time.

Tight lines & full coolers!

I have most of the sticks out there and they'll all catch fish in the right conditions. I've always had better luck with jointed rapalas than straight. In a good mudline, IMO, you CANNOT beat a Smithwick Rattlin' Rogue for pulling fish out of the dirty water.

Tim

I've run similar (size & color) thundersticks and ralala's at the same time for spring browns, took all of our fish onthe less expensive thundersticks. Ralala floaters may work for people, but my experience gives me more confidence in the thunderstick jrs. I havent put a ralala in the water this year.

• 3 weeks later...

I can't comment on the trout/salmon part but all I use are rapalas, besides musky lures. I have never really had any that got destroyed, I fish for all types of fish. I love the x-raps, they work great and are worth every penny.

As with most things, I believe you get what you pay for. One thing to help with the cost is to NOT go to the store and pick a half dozen lures because they "look" good or "that should work", I have wasted so much money on stuff like that and have 3 or 4 boxes with lures that I just don't use.

Start with the basics, research where you are going to be fishing, what bait is in there, check forums to see what the fish you are targeting are hitting on, and ask locals.

I now only use between 4-5 lures depending what I am fishing for so in the spring when I have to stock up it's only a handful of lures. I frequent sites online too almost weekly looking for specific lures I use on sale.

One time all the stars aligned and I ended up getting a $100 rod for $60, $20 spool of line for $12, a couple x-raps for $4.99, some spinnerbaits for $1-2 less than normal. I hit the sale when orders over $50 shipped for free and one day only 20% off all fishing. I ended getting everything for over half off shipped to my door.

Just start off small, find what works and slowy build your lure collection as you go.

Good luck and have fun!

no matter what I will always ALWAYS have a silver and black rapala in he water when trolling......

my normal spread is

2 rapala flat raps hot steel/clown

2 Yozuri crystal minnows blue with silver

1 rapala floating silver and black

1 smithwich silver with black bars