electrical problem?

reddog20fan

I have a 2005 16' tracker pro guide. I recently purchased the boat and I am slowly but surely getting to know my way around the boat. This is my first boat

The problem I am having is blowing fuses on the navigation lights. As soon as I turn the switch on the 5 amp fuse blows? My knowledge is pretty limited in this area? Any suggestions?

Or any suggestions for a professional that could help? I live in Hilton, ny.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

There must be a short somewhere. Try to isolate where it is . Look at all the wires you can access or see to see if they are bare , touching each other , etc. Take the covers off the lights themself to see if they are installed corectly. Leave them out and turn on the switch and see that may be it. Might need a handfull of fuses. Find the problem ,don't install a bigger fuse. Buzz words for elec connections are CLEAN & TIGHT. Good luck.

Like hasbeen says most likely a short. You may have 2 or 3 loops depending on how the boat is wired. If your port and starbord lights are going to 1 bow mount fixture you can test it by removing the bulbs and disconecting the connection to power and ground. Do this with your battery disconnected to avoid trouble. Your loop should read like an open circuit with the bulbs out. If there is a short it will probably read zero ohms. It could be the fixture or the run to the fixture. If you remove the fixture and still have a short it will be in the wire and you need run new ones. Not to tough in a small boat. Test the stern light as well to see if you have a short. Try to use tinned marine wire to if you have to run new.

Good Luck

Another thought. Did you have mice in the boat durring storage this winter. Mice are known for eating the coating on the wires and causing shorts. If you have a known area that had mice, start there.