johnson 9.9 issue

tbulhead

I have a mid-70's johnson 9.9 2-stroke. I have no issue starting it up or keeping it running. The problem started yesterday when it did not seem to want to speed up. Yesterday it went only 6 mph. I switched the plugs and took it out again today. Again it only went about 6 mph until I shifted weight in the boat and moved myself about 4 more feet forward to keep the bow down. The outboard then sped up to 16 mph. I repeated this about a dozen times today and whenever I shifted my weight forward the engine sped up to 16 mph. Also the bow did not porpoise yesterday because of an extra person in the front. The gas is fresh and the carb was cleaned about 2 months ago. Could the fuel pump be going bad? Any ideas?

My boat will go slow and kinda bog down at full throttle and the bow goes up and untill i get weight up there or start out with weight distributed properly then it will pick up speed and get on plane. Kinda sounds like my problem if i reas it right...to much weight in the rear of the boat

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

You replacing your rotten transom,probably did not add a whole lot of weight to the boat,but it certainly changed the angle (trim) of your outboard quite a bit.

You should try to bring the trim up or down a bit and see if the problem persists.

Sounds to me like a fuel issue, when you position your weight differently it picks up the fuel and when it wont rev up the fuel is being restricted somehow, I would look at the fuel pick - up line inside the 5 or 6 gallon tank this new fuel might have turned your pick-up line into a gummy mess? or the lines on the tank to the motor might be cracked letting the carb, pull air instead of fuel. How's the primerbulb in the fuel line does it stay hard? if you squeez the primebulb does it rev up then, if it does then maybe the primer might be going bad. their are a few problems I ran into already, Hopefully this will help you, Tight lines to all PAP.

did ya disconnect the trailer :lol:

in the keys this year one of the guys launched his inflatable and forgot to raise his transport wheels....His nick name is Woody, well their were a few "woody had trouble gettin it up jokes " around the campsite for a while..

Now if L&M HANK sees this post he might have a suggestion or two...ya ever replaced coils???

I'm Just Saying.................................... ;) might be a little poopy in the carb too...age of fuel line?

I also would check the carb. For piece of mind I would put a carb kit and fuel pump kit in it. Carb kit will probably run $20 and you can get a fuel pump kit from NAPA (most marine dealers can't seem to find kits). The NAPA part number is 18-7823. Here is a nice instruction http://www.sschapterpsa.com/ramblings/R ... elpump.htm

Considering the cost (cheap) I would replace the fuel line from the hose connector to the fuel pump inlet. For less than $50 that engine should run like new.

Have fun with the fuel pump rebuild :lol: Put a scratch mark down one side of the stack so you know how to line it up.