Running spoons from different manufacturers

I try to run spoons from one manufacturer. I've been doing well with NKs. I'll typically run a NK 28 20-25 ft back off the rigger with a matching Mag spoon on a free slider. I have a bunch of DW spoons in some patterns I'd like to try. The nuclear green NK's consistently fire so I'm hesitant on taking them out. Is it really that critical to only be running NK spoons together? I'd like to try some of the DW spoons on the other rigger but don't want to throw the whole program off.

I try to run spoons from one manufacturer. I've been doing well with NKs. I'll typically run a NK 28 20-25 ft back off the rigger with a matching Mag spoon on a free slider. I have a bunch of DW spoons in some patterns I'd like to try. The nuclear green NK's consistently fire so I'm hesitant on taking them out. Is it really that critical to only be running NK spoons together? I'd like to try some of the DW spoons on the other rigger but don't want to throw the whole program off.

I never knew it was "critical" to only run one manufactures spoon at a time.... :worried:

And since no one ever told me this important detail.....

I run multiple different spoons of shapes sizes colors and manufactures ALL AT THE SAME TIME ! :lol:

I catch some fish.

I say switch it up and try some new ones WHEN YOU WANT. ;) What's the worse that can happen, you don't catch a fish for a few minutes?

The fish don't know that rule :yes:

I think what you might be talking about is different make spoons might have a different speed range they run better at.

Like Raven said give it a shot.

You can always switch back if it doesn't pan out.

Good luck.

Glen

The thing you need to remember is certain spoons run better at specific speeds. For instance...you would have poor results running a sutton spoon at 2.5 to 2.7 MPH when 28s and mags run well. And likewise when your running 1.5 to 2.0 for sutton spoons the Mags or 28s would be barely moving....Obviously the speeds mentioned are only to explain my theory...When I pick spoons I look at the water temps, the weather ( cloudy/sunny) how deep my baits will run as well as what species Im targeting.....

In my spread I usually run many different spoons....Dreamweavers, NKs, Stingers and lately Ive always had at least one Yeck out there.....Different guys have their go too Spoons...For example I would be willing to bet that Rick (Yankee Troller) will always have a Sea Sick Waddler NK out.....Me I will always have a at least one Yeck Obama out.

I think you would be handicapping yourself if you ran only one particular brand out.... Ive had days where I ran a NK spook, a Stinger spook and a DW spook.....I got all my hits on the stingers...the fish wouldn't touch the others....the next day I couldn't get bit on a stinger....its just the flavor of the day.....

Your confidence lures should be a starting point for you...Don't be afraid to change things up...you may be surprised.....Good luck this season and tight lines......

Always check the action of your spoon about 6-8 ft back with the rod tip just underwater. If it's just laying there, it needs a little more speed. If revolving in a tight circle, it needs less. To answer your question: can you run nk28's & standard DW's - Heck yes, great combo.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

I'm pretty sure it depends on where in the lake you are fishing. In the more upscale areas ,pompous fish will snub their noses at spreads that are not in sync. Color coordination is important to them as well. Running spoons of different makes in these areas would be concidered a Fishing Fopa and only desparate fish would touch them. In the middle class areas of the lake you would still have quite a few Wanna Be upscale posers that would snub their noses but a large portion of the population would strike. In the lower class areas the ones really trying to get bigger would hit them, but for the most part, most of them would sit on bottom and wait till they get their EBT card, Then go fill up on frozen seafood at Wally World 1st of each month.

This sunday we had Nk mags, DW dirty white boy, and homemade white/ raspberry/ chartreuse mags all at the same time. Our homemade mags were catching all the fish, to the point where I loaded another rod with a homemade lure of similar colors and that caught fish as well. I think that is the most fun when you find the hot combo.

I'm pretty sure it depends on where in the lake you are fishing. In the more upscale areas ,pompous fish will snub their noses at spreads that are not in sync. Color coordination is important to them as well. Running spoons of different makes in these areas would be concidered a Fishing Fopa and only desparate fish would touch them. In the middle class areas of the lake you would still have quite a few Wanna Be upscale posers that would snub their noses but a large portion of the population would strike. In the lower class areas the ones really trying to get bigger would hit them, but for the most part, most of them would sit on bottom and wait till they get their EBT card, Then go fill up on frozen seafood at Wally World 1st of each month.
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

That explains why I only catch the dumb ones that are color blind?

Another factor that is commonly over looked is the type of hook: treble vs siwash. If your spoon has great action @ 2.7 mph with a treble, you can achieve a similar action at a much slower speed by switching to a siwash hook, maybe 2.3-2.5 mph, depending on the make of spoon.

Raaven,

Misdemeanor is right on with his explanation. On my boat I have my "go to" spoon/spoons, which are pretty much the same year after year, always suttle changes every season. I run NKs, Dreamweavers, and Michigan Stingers, and as Matt said somtimes the fish just like spoons from one manufacturer.

If your "go to" spoons or spread is all NKs, and that's what is working for you, don't change things drastically. Deffinately try other makes of spoons, but make small changes. For instance, run your usual "go to" set-up, but designate 1 rod that is going to be the experimental rod, and this will be the rod that you will use to run spoons that you've never run before. Changing your entire program introduces to many unknowns in the equation. To me.. figuring out my "go to program" is a methodical, thought out process, and it's always changing from trip to trip, and somtimes hour to hour.

And always try running the same color patterns of different spoons, as stated ealier, somtimes they just want one type.

Good Luck.

Raaven,

Misdemeanor is right on with his explanation. On my boat I have my "go to" spoon/spoons, which are pretty much the same year after year, always suttle changes every season. I run NKs, Dreamweavers, and Michigan Stingers, and as Matt said somtimes the fish just like spoons from one manufacturer.

If your "go to" spoons or spread is all NKs, and that's what is working for you, don't change things drastically. Deffinately try other makes of spoons, but make small changes. For instance, run your usual "go to" set-up, but designate 1 rod that is going to be the experimental rod, and this will be the rod that you will use to run spoons that you've never run before. Changing your entire program introduces to many unknowns in the equation. To me.. figuring out my "go to program" is a methodical, thought out process, and it's always changing from trip to trip, and somtimes hour to hour.

And always try running the same color patterns of different spoons, as stated ealier, somtimes they just want one type.

Good Luck.

All good advice!

One thing I would like to add about "experimental " stations and lure selections....

Experiment with a station THAT WORKS FOR YOU, and when the fish are biting. ;)

I learn nothing about a certain lure..if I run it where even my "Go To" struggles to connect this week...

Just like when nothing is working this hour, I won't say that lure doesn't work, just because it's in the "hot " position!

For example I would be willing to bet that Rick (Yankee Troller) will always have a Sea Sick Waddler NK out.....Me I will always have a at least one Yeck Obama out.

At least until all of mine get taken! Three mags are left in my box, and I have searched high and low for more, but with no luck.

Back to this thread.....we run all brands of spoons. We also have many times when more than one brand is down. As one person said in this thread "the fish don't know that rule." The big three spoon manufactures all have speed tolerances that fit the speeds we troll at IMHO.

nobody likes R&Rs?

The fish do!

I have them in the water all the time.

They are not a spoon everybody has a stock of aboard...

You know, this is a good subject to hit upon...

I'm out there catching fish, doing my thing, and someone asks "what are you using", "What is working"...

Well it does THEM no good to tell them about lures they might not have, or can't just walk in to the store and buy...or modifications to stock items they just can never match...

So you go to the basics to try to help them out!

Everybody has, or knows of ,and can buy a Michigan Stinger NBK

But the other day the R&R black/white, a little red on leading edge, gold sparkle, glow back that I modified with a little peacock tail dangling on the single hook...WAS ON FIRE!

Tell a guy struggling to get a hit on the water, all that... and you get a long pause...followed by a "Ok, I KNOW I DON"T HAVE ONE OF THOSE. "

Yep I run lots of R&R's. What's nice about them, especially the Superlights is that they are tremendously speed tolerant, so they mix well with whatever else I might have in the water.

Tim

Raaven,

You're absolutely right about expierimenting when the fishing is good, a guy can learn a lot faster that way. And, you're also right, when the fishing is tough, it's my A plus stuff that goes out, and it's a grind from then on.

Me... if my go-to isn't working, yet I'm marking fish and bait, I'll put out a spread that has a mash-up of different baits and colors. Lots of times, that's all it takes. give them a menu to choose from and (hopefully) they'll tell you what they want. If I get a hit at this point, I'll start changing another couple rods over to what just worked, untill I've got the same, or similar baits in the water.

The more I fish the less I rely on different lures/manufactures. It seems like color is more important than the blank it is on. In an effort to simplify my life I intend to catch multiple limits of fish this year on about one dozen select spoons and 2 flasher fly combinations. So far so good, I may have to open the other boxes if it gets tough in June.

I think the manufactures would like us to think we need every color combination out there, I am beginning to come around to the thought that the #1 factor is location - are you on fish #2 are your offerings running correctly

Many guys have stepped on my boat and looked thru my boxes and pull out a lure they claim to be the best spoon ever made while I have never even tied it on!!

That would explain why I keep seeing one Moonshine spoon (Ratchet Jaw?) on your reports. Figured you must be one of their sponsored captains. I'm interested in how you do - I hope to learn how to catch more fish with less gear.

That would explain why I keep seeing one Moonshine spoon (Ratchet Jaw?) on your reports. Figured you must be one of their sponsored captains. I'm interested in how you do - I hope to learn how to catch more fish with less gear.

The Ratchet Jaw has been very good to me both last season and this season when fishing in <150 fow and within 20' of the bottom, I'm thinking goby imatation!

As a disclosure, I am a Pro-Staff member for Moonshine Lures and proud to represent a great lure and company!