Important reminder for WHI observers

Because WHI is an "open border" Tournament, Observers should be carrying passports/enhanced licenses/Nexus cards, whichever is appropriate for the possible situation. Remember, any DWI's makes it a problem to enter Canada also. Both Countries have stepped up patrols considerably around the river, and it would not be fair to the team you are placed with if they are detained or delayed. Keep in mind in Canadian waters most vessels are not permitted to have any open containers or beer consumption, even if just by passengers and not operators.

Because WHI is an "open border" Tournament, Observers should be carrying passports/enhanced licenses/Nexus cards, whichever is appropriate for the possible situation. Remember, any DWI's makes it a problem to enter Canada also. Both Countries have stepped up patrols considerably around the river, and it would not be fair to the team you are placed with if they are detained or delayed. Keep in mind in Canadian waters most vessels are not permitted to have any open containers or beer consumption, even if just by passengers and not operators.

I am available and have required documentation if any team is in need of a observer.

You can email me at : [email protected]

Burnin', wish I could answer, I guess it's something for Tourny judge(s) to ponder, hopefully beforehand. Last year the fog was a factor, I always see more patrols on fair weather days.

I had a conversation with U.S. border agents in Youngstown last week, and they said there has been some "peculiar" activity in the Niagara area--they did not expound on it.

The Canadians have been patrolling the area by boat all the way from Toronto. Like I said in the original post, it affects the team you are placed with most. You just don't know where they intend to fish until you are assigned. Better safe than sorry.

Et tu, Hanke?

They call it "applying for rehabilitation" - can be free, $200 or $1000, depending on severity of conviction(s) and length of time without one: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informatio ... 12ETOC.asp Talk about complicated: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informatio ... tation.asp

I'll use myself as an example. I have a single conviction from 1990 for DUI, fine paid & loss of license for 90 days (no damage involved). I learned an expensive lesson - if you've had ANYTHING to drink, don't offer to be the one to drive your buddy's car home for him. I didn't know it had a headlight out.

I can apply to be assessed by a visa office to be "deemed rehabilitated" by filling out a form and providing comprehensive documentation regarding the conviction - no fee involved. The process can take up to a year. If I choose not to do that, I can just show up at the border and hope they don't ask. I can also just show up, bringing all of this: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/f ... M5507E.pdf and ask for them to waive the $200 fee once (ever). If they refuse, I can pay their $200 processing fee or turn around and go home.

I'll probably just send in the form and forget about about it until my wife wants to go to Toronto for the first time.

I contacted Dave Chilson regarding the Observer/LOC derby question. He stated that as long as the tourny teams were not running rods on observers licenses, then he would cooperate with the WHI and cover the observers. All he asked is that he be provided a list of names of tourny observers, so that will be up to the WHI committee to work out with him. I would imagine it will be the same for the observer regarding fishing licenses, as long as no rods are being run on them and they are correctly not assisting in the fishing, then they would not need a licenses. Best to confirm with WHI officials beforehand.