Do you charge your fishing buddies for gas ?

Yes ,,well sort of .Common COURTESY. Says you should at least offer .A couple of my buddies have boats , so do I ,and we always give at least $20 be fore I pull out of,driveway. It's usually a wash at end of season but its the thought that counts .If you will not pitch in ..your not gonna be on my boat..I don't want your beer or food ,,I got that ,,offer my services or money ,We all know how much time and money we have into our rigged.20 is not a lot of $....go pay for a charters and pay $100 if that ain't. Happy

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

I have a sign in my boat that says this boat runs on gas not thank you it was there when I bought the boat and it's staying.I have great friends that go fishing with me almost every weekend we split every thing down the middle if we lose any tackle we replace it. It seems only fair

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Don't know if it's true or not, but I had a guy come up to me at the gas dock at Olcott last year when one of my buddies was paying for the gas and asked me if I was a licensed charter captain? 19.5 ft boat really? He told me I needed to be licensed if I took money for gas? So now I let them pay for truck fuel, tolls, hotel and food and I put gas in the boat.

Passenger for hire means a passenger for whom consideration is contributed as a condition of carriage on the vessel, whether directly or indirectly flowing to the owner, charterer, operator, agent or any other person having an interest in the vessel (46 U.S.C. 2101(21a)).

Consideration means an economic benefit, inducement, right, or profit including monetary payment going to an individual, person, or entity. It does not include a voluntary sharing of the actual expenses of the voyage, by monetary contribution or donation of fuel food, beverage, or other supplies (46 U.S.C. 2101(5a)).

Next time someone tries to tell you that you NEED a license to share expenses...tell them to go look up THE LAW. ;)

When I got my first "six pack", in 1986..what he was saying WAS TRUE...you couldn't take anything, including some one buying you lunch, without a license.

Well it seems that has changed sometime in the last 26 years? I just looked up the actual Law, and above is what I found.

When an accident happens and those attorneys you see on television in the beautiful ads touting the millions of dollars they collected, remember that a lot of that money does not come from Insurance companies. They will attach your home, bank accounts, life insurance , vehicles, children's college funds, and your newborn children while years go by litigating the matter.Taking money for something messes up your liability in case of an accident.

YER DARN RIGHT,,,

A FEW TIMES FISHING WITH MUSKY BOB ,HE CUT SOME OF THE WORSE GAS I EVER SMELT,

EVERYTIME HE FARTED I MADE HIM PAY ME 10.00...

iT OFFSET THE COST OF GAS MASK, EYE VAPOR PROTECTION,SEAT CLEANER,AND 5 GAL FABREEZE...

:mooning:

WHEN HE GOT IN THIS POSITION YOU BETTER NOT BE STANDING BEHIND HIM WITH OPEN FLAME!!

FAWOOMM !!!!

I don't ask on my boat but it costs about $8.00 to troll for 8 hrs :lol: and I always offer if I go on someone elses no matter what the circumstances.

Tom

Huh? What are you boating in, a canoo fitted with a radio control airplane engine?

thats about what my 90hp etec will take to toll 8 hours truthfully

All I know is that anytime I was ever on someone elses boat, I tossed a 20 spot at the helm. If it was not accepted, they found it taped to their car or in their cooler or any number of clever places I have left it.

I kind of expect the same, but I also understand when someone can't. The friendship and camaraderie is worth more than $20 to me. I never ask for it, but if it is offered I graciously accept.

I never ask nor care for any money when I take people. But when it comes to taking my two sons (20 and 23) I INSIST they pay for gas :D:D I raised those boys and the least they can do for the ole man is fill up my 210 gallon tank with 93 octane.

Sad part is....they actually do that lol...

I take care of the gas on this baby...She can run all Summer long on 20 bucks lol.

5974_1024002898242_1770336031_55683_836951_n.jpg

I don't ask, but accept when offered. I try to bring a friend or family member (or 2) with me when I troll the big O. Two on board makes putting a spread out easier, not to mention doubles the number of rods in use, and three people aboard, to me, is ideal. That way, unless we hit a double or triple, there is someone to take their turn fighting the fish, someone to do the netting, and someone to drive/steer the boat. So If I am not offered, I don't get too upset - having an extra one or two people aboard makes my fishing experience better for me. Then again, I only have an 18 gallon tank for a 90HP Merc. and can troll for 4 hours on a 1/4 tank of regular gasoline. (4.5 gal), including running to and from the launch. That, and it's only a 15 minute drive to trailer my boat to the launch from home. Figure gas and oil for the boat, and gas for the truck comes to around $25 for me - and the extra set(s) of hands makes it easier, therefore, more enjoyable for me.