Lets debate......200' copper vs 10 color core!

200' copper vs 10 color core  

43 members have voted

1. 1. 200' copper vs 10 color core

• 200' Copper
    • 10 Color Core

Core has always been known for its smooth up and down water column changes while making turns. However, copper on a turn will sink like a rock. Lately, I have been seeing more people running 200' coppers over a 10 color core. We don't have a 200' copper, but we run a 10 color when we want to achieve that 40-50' depth.

I run both, and typically if we are fishing that part of the water column, I'll have both out. the 10 color on one side and the 200 copper on the other and my experience has been that the 200 copper always seems to take more shots than the lead core.

Tim

Rick,

I was just going through a similar thought process this week. I'm thinking of turning a full core into a 200' copper, and then making 2 half cores out of the original full core.

My thought process is that with a 200' copper I might be able to increase bite to catch ratio, just making it easier to keep good tension on a fish with less junk line. It also might make the fighting experience for an angler a bit more enjoyable with a 3-10lb class fish.

Both are very speed dependent. Our data suggests the leadcore moves down slowly and takes a long time to come back up while copper moves up and down at a faster rate. As an example our last test 450 copper at 3mph was 45 feet down and at 2mph was 80 feet down.

I was just giving a buddy a hard time. I don't remember offhand if I've used lead out with Jolly or Legacy. I do remember one on copper - and not being able to feel my arm by the end. :)

As Tim said I also like to run boat at the same time targeting the same depth, but I have a tendency to only run spoons on the core and will more often run a flasher/fly on the copper. Just my feeling that the core will transfer more action to the spoon with its wet noodle action. But if the spoons are hot, the copper gets a spoon.

BTW the 200 copper is one of my fav rigs for late summer/fall pre stage kings/cohos that are often rising up out of temp. a Mag spoon or a plug is what is usually on it off a walleye board at that time.

The 200 copper has the advantages of sink rate at different speeds. The copper is not effected as much by flasher fly combos pulling more resistance and consequently running higher in the water column as a core line. I was surprised the other day when the 200 copper came up with zebra on the hook and I never went under 59 FOW on a east troll...with the current. It had a pro troll and fly combo on it. I made some turns, but not crazy sharp ones. Lot less to reel in and great telegraph of lure/fish to the rod.

Mark

I also use both, i use one and two color cores for spring fishing shallower depths. Out deeper i switch to coppers. I have one reel for each 50' incriments from 100 to 500 and like to run them on big boards to give that up & down action. I have not tried over 5 colors of lead ever, not sure why. Whatever fills your box, often the sinking lines are the only rig to fire.

I got rid of my leadcore set ups for copper. You achieve more depth with less line in the water. Copper seems to catch way more fish for me also. Besides, when you ruin a 200 copper, you can get more money back at the scrap yard for it!

I also got rid of my 10 colors for a couple 200 coppers. I don't want to worry about the leadcore breaking anymore. One less thing I have to worry about.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png