Magnum Dipsey.How deep will they go??

We run 30lb 7 strand wire on all our diver rods.Have always run #1 dipseys.This years kings seem to be running deeper then ever.Gonna buy a couple Mag dipseys.Chart that comes with them useless, its based on 20lb mono. So how much wire out to reach 100,110,120,130,140,150 fow on a 2 or 3 setting??? Had a great morning on may 1st rigs down 70,80,90 divers out 160 to 180. Bite died about noon time for all rods.Before we quit, tried rig down to 120ft it fired in 5 minutes,big king. Put 2 other rigs down 120ft they fired too, with big kings. Anyhow,I know my #1 dipseys no way will get beyound 100ft.Anyhow appreciate any info on running Mag dipseys with wire. Thanks Mike

It's really subjective and dependent on speed, lures, and as you mention, setting, but yes they will get down below 100'. Last year we had two identical setups running Mag Dipseys. They were hitting bottom in 95' with between 180-230 feet of wire out. So, in general figure 2:1. Any deeper than that and the curve will likely slip off. To get to 150'...not sure it's possible, given diminishing returns. Good luck

I have had them hit bottom with a flasher/fly at about 112' going 2.4 downspeed with 350-400' of wire out. If you want 150' you need to go to 1lb thumper weights.

You could also run them on 90 feet of braid to mono backing and clip the mono into a scotty stacker release set on the tight pinch setting with a 48 inch lead on it 20 feet above the ball and lower the ball to 100 feet or more. The dipsey on a 2.5 setting will plane off the rigger cable like a side winger at a depth approximately 20 feet deeper than your ball is running. I have done this and had no problems releasing them with the mono backing because there is mot too much mono out. The mono will keep the fleas off and the braid is deeper than the fleas generally live. It's not as easy as a plain rod and free dipsey but you can do this without the need for the magnum dipsey. Stacking the rods is a small drawback to do this but it is often very deadly on fish coming to the ball for a look. It's the down and out method, and you can still run your wires out by them selves.

Mark

Mag dispey with ring, the chart only goes to 100 feet for 30# wire.

100ft on 0 setting needs 210 feet line back.

Same 210 feet line back on 2 or 3 setting only gets you about 90ft down.

The angle of the curve suggest after 210 feet you go down 0.3 feet for every foot of line out.

So to get 10 feet you need 33 feet of more line out.

So this is my guess on 2 or 3 setting:

100 ft down - 240 feet out.

110 ft down - 270 feet out.

120 ft down - 300 feet out.

130 ft down - 340 feet out.

140 ft down - 380 feet out.

150 ft down - 430 feet out.

I think past 120ft down it actually becomes impractical. Will take forever to reel in a king from that distance.

We use the mag rings and we have come up with zebra mussles in 130' with wire out 250' on "1 setting. We run 4 dipsys and never had an issue with the mag on #1 setting. I do understand that we are not dealing with that big of waves on Cayuga . The high dipsy is a # 1 on 3 setting with mag ring. The only time we have had tangles is when weeds foul the dipsy and it no longer planes the way it should. The charts are for dipsy with no ring,add 20% for standard ring 30% for mag or monster ring. Our troll speed is 2.2 to 2.7 at the ball. Wes