Proper etiquette for boating?

While out yesterday in Mexico Bay I was all alone to start the morning. Not another boat within 500yds or more. I had all my lines out on a slow troll at 2.5. Me and my buddy see this boat coming straight at us wondering what he is doing. He proceeded to fly by us going roughly 20-25mph creating a huge wake but only swung to the side of us by about 50yrds roughly. To say I was a bit pissed was an understatement. If I can swing out wide while going around any boat I will. Certainly won't fly by someone that close at full speed. The cooler on the back said "tackle one". I am wrong at thinking he should have had swung out wider to go by? Maybe it's me just not wanting to upset other fisherman.

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

Just my opinion but 50yds is a pretty good distance. If it were 50ft then you may have a problem.Chances are he didn't see you until it was too late to swing wider? Also dropping off plane would have created a larger wake??? You didn't say the size of your boat nor the size of his. But I think 50 yds should have been OK. In NH we have a 150' headway speed rule beyond that not a problem. Boats have passed each other way closer than that without an issue. Guess it all depends on the size of each boat and the size of the wake. When I ran my lobster boat she threw a mean wake. I was always concerned with what my wake would do to vessels I passed and would slow down if I felt it would help them out.

Everyone is responsible for their wake, not everyone knows that.

Spike

I run a 19' aluminum boat and his was roughly a 25' or better. With no one around just think you would be nice enough to swing a bit wider. Guess not everyone has good morals and common sense.

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

Yup, when I see this kind of stuff, I think ... we are on a big friggin lake. I mean its like 50 miles wide or something, and we have all this space. Why in the bloody world do these guys feel the need to come so close? Maybe they are lonely or something, but comeone, it's not like we're in a small confined zone.

Basically, they are retarded ... just accept it.

I agree that's kind of ridiculous especially with no other boats in the area .... happens all the time though. Had a similar experience out of Wilson a few years back and while we were all on the bow yelling at the boat, charter boat mind you, I noticed a rigger rod screamin'. Ended up being a 7th place LOC salmon that we weighed in front of the charter boat Capt and his clients .... we then proceeded to thank him ;)

It was a long time ago, I took the boating course but I don’t remember there being a boat to boat safe distance law. I believe it’s a common sense thing. A lot of boaters don’t have that.