Starting issues on a 1988 Mec 80hp

ERABBIT

1988 , 80hp , 2 stroke Mec

Last fall and still this spring when I go to start it , it turns over like the battery is almost dead. About two short trys , then it turns it over fast and start after a bit……………..go out to where I want to fish , set up turn it off and use kicker…………….when done and ready to come back in starts fine……………any ideas ???? I have cleaned the leads on the side of the motor and at the battery (last fall will do it again )

I am thinking a starter issue or the battery is starting to go. If you kicker is charging the battery and keeping it topped off it could be a cranking amp issue with the battery and you should try another battery. If not I would start with the starter. Just my thought for now, I am no mechanic by any means.

are yoyu saying that you started having the problem after purchassing a new battery or purchased the battery to try and solve the problem?

Sorry for the clearification question.

I had the problem worked on connections and such , then bought a new battery and put it in............so no NOT after buying before.....

No problem thanks for the follow-up...... :yes:

Pull the starter apart and clean the brush blocks like Steve suggested. If you're leary that you will mess it up. This will squre your learning experience up for a mear $62.

http://www.amazon.com/Starter-Outboard- ... B004WG8R44

The 2 long bolts that go all the way through it is all that holds it together. The armature may stick a little in thier bearings. I think if I could get a spare starter for $62 I might just buy one to have on the boat as a spare.

If you want to support china, go ahead an buy that piece of $h!2 starter I had many of those starters in my shop, most of the time it wasn't the starter at all, most of the time it is bad pos. cable. There are no bearings in those starters, there are bushing in both ends, the comutater end has the brushes and brush holder in it, scribe a mark on the case & the end cap to make shure you put it together right, there is notches in the cap and in the case that will line up everything, the brushes will be a triangle shape and the end of the armature should be a flat surface, if it dished out and the brushes are less than a 1/4" thick replace the starter, not with a chinese on either!!!! go to your local rebuilder(starter&alt) or buy an oem unit, if every thing looks good than put it back together, this will take some cussing without the right tool to hold the brushes and springs back so you can put it over the armature. A little trick is to use a 4x4 inch piece of thin metal cut a 1/4 inch wide & about 2.5 deep cut in the center of metal put one brush & spring in at a time holding the metal down over brush repeat the same steps untill all brushes are under the tin and the slot in the middle and you can see the bushing hole, put assy. over armature hold down, pull out the tin and put your thru bolts in done deal. tight lines to all PAP

• 2 months later...

Well thanks everyone , I finnaly got around to taking care of this. ( It was getting real hairy if it would start OR NOT ).........pulled started took to Barrett Marine.......Fran pulled it apart lots of gray dust came out , brushes were SHOT a long time ago said he had no idea how it even started............he cleaned it out and replaced the brushes , I picked up 6 plugs and 2 inline gas filters total $116.00...............a new starter is $340.00 + taxs..............

after a few issues putting it back on changed plugs and inline gas filter ( and replaced adjustment arm on carbs............someone broke one with a screw driver :P ) all back togather and ready to go............ :yes: