2007 Memorable Fishing Moments

BlueEye

As the open lake fishing season slowly comes to an end here, I was curious to what some of your more memorable and funny moments were on the lake this year?

I'll start... about a month ago we were out deep - 500-600 feet of water (perfect night - glass calm water) and we noticed something very odd on the horizon. It was VERY small and I thought maybe it was a deer so as we packed our rods and called it a night, we swung by the object.

Turns out what we originally thought might have been a deer or maybe just drift wood was actually a 14 foot aluminum boot equipped with one dude, a fishing rod and a hand operated motor out in 600 feet of water! Talk about rolling the dice. I'd be scared to take that boat 50 feet from shore, let alone 600 feet of water. I wonder how many gas tanks he was carrying?

Cheers 8)

I'll chime in Chad. 2007 has been the most enjoyable fishing season I can remember. So many memories and great times it's hard to pick one or two.

A few that stand out:

My family slept in the boat with me with the intention of fishing in the am. I headed out on the lake around 6am, with the fam still asleep in the cabin. Soon after setting up a rigger fired and I yelled "fish on"!! Nothing.....so I yelled "fish on" again, knowing my son wanted to battle a king. He popped his head out and I said "come on out.....we have a king on buddy".

He said "Dad....I can't fight that fish, I'm in my underwear"! I replied "no one can see your bottom, get out here and get on this fish". So. with much embarassment, he fought that king in his underwear. It seems I never have the camera when I really need it.

Another time My son and I were out in the evening and he landed a king right at dark. We were late so I gunned the boat and headed to the harbor. After traveling about 2-3 miles I looked back to find the cooler was no longer strapped to the swim platform...It was gone :shock:

We needed it the next morning for a tourney, so I turned around and flew back to see it floating on the horizon. We saw the lid had flew off and was 20 yards from the cooler. We both saw a fish surface right by the cooler, so I told Justin his fish was probably gone, but at least we have our cooler back. To our suprise, the fish was still in the cooler!!

Getting towed in by the CG was interesting. Meeting many great people at the tourneys was a highlight. Meeting and fishing with Waterlogged and Smitty on Team Lucky Enuff was another very bright spot. Thanks Guys....look forward to next year!!!!!

I look forward to reading everyone's "season highlights"

So many stories....so little time 8)

Rod

Rod,

Now you have corrupted your poor son, he will have complex everytime he is hooked up to a king. I like the way you think,lol nice stories, I saw the tow in day, and you still made the weigh in. It was nice to meet you and can't wait till next years tourney to get together again.

Rich

My rookie season out of Sandy Creek was a good one. Only one trip with less than 10 fish in the boat. A day in June featured a seven of eight rod going off at once fire drill. July brought great fishing and a very weird August. It is hard to believe that the season is winding down fast. Time to get ready for hunting and icefishing. Good luck everyone.

Gambler that must have been cool to have 7 rods fire. I have cleaned 10 out of 10 rods once all is said and done, but they werent simultaneous. It was more like double here than a single then a double......bla, bla, bla.

I would say I had a very memorable year with all sorts of ups and downs. First year chartering was cool! I met some great people and learned a lot. As for the Pro-Am's.....WOW! I would have never expected to take 2 top 5's inthe pro side let alone a win. Then to top it off with a Fall LOC placing. So, in conclusion Uncle Sam will be getting a nice chunk of change from me in taxes this year! :shock:

I would say the most memorable trip was either the charter with the two women in bikinis (I swear I didnt sit on the fly bridge and look down, it was to make sure the fish was right behind the boat) :lol: or the 8yr old kid who was rod shy at 6am and by 8am was a rod hawg(Will never forget his face or smile when he landed some of those Spring fish)!

I guess my olcott trip this spring was my big day 1:00 in the afternoon flatter than ice and one of those hatches occured, within minutes the surface came alive with a school of cohos i did 45 fish in under 2 hrs with many of the hooked fish swimming by the boat with ths spoons hanging from there lips . hooked so many that i stoped fishing to enjoy a beverage and watch the feeding frenzy. no flyrod or ultralight on board.

I had two that stand out,

one was this weekend takign my two year old off the doc for perch. she had a blast. I woudl post pctures but way to complicated on this site. any how, how do you respond to this: I pull my fisign pole out of the back out of the truck.....Oh daddy, did you buy that for me!!!!.. Mom has her trained.

The other was one morning we had rods firing all over soon as we set-up, we ended up with three one and only got one in. it was a fun quick morning.

Big Fisherman,

On this board, when our members speak - I listen. You suggested an easier way to upload and post images. Try our new image upload mod - it really doesn't get much easier than that 8)

Cancun_Larry.jpg

Hope this helps and keep the great stories coming. I am really enjoying all the adventure stories our members have to share.

Cheers,

This turns out to be my best year of fishing since I moved to Rochester in 1989. Took me a long time to realize how great fishery we have in our backyard.

Having bought a trolling motor last spring was the best purchase I ve made.

Last spring, as I was tying the lures on my boat, I saw a huge white fish dancing on the surface of the water. I wasnt trained at that time which is to jump to the rod and reel in right away. I was fortunate during that whole time, the fish continued to do the aerobic dance and it did not lose the lure from its mouth. This turned out to be my biggest steelhead - 11 lbs.

Last month, fishing solo and reeling in my biggest salmon at 23 lbs in 4'-6' chops was my personal best accomplishment.

The members of the LOU boards ve been terrific about sharing advices and tips. All of this generousity from the LOU members has validated my ability to catch fish.

Tight lines.

Those were all some great stories, 2007 was great for me too. Learning to fish the niagara in the winter for steelhead was awesome and i cant wait to get back there. Also fishing Western NY tribs was great. I dont consider the fishing season winding down at all, i feel its just getting started. I am also looking to get into some ice fishing finally. Keep the great stories coming.

Doug