Grilled Whole Coho

The coho we've been catching this year are perfect for cooking as a whole fish. I've served this to my 12 yr old son since he was a baby, and he swears its better than any other fish, walleye included. We usually cook this over some hot coals we scrape out of a bonfire with alot of friends, and have done this with steelhead, small kings, and browns, but have found coho to be the best.

(1) 4-5 lb whole fish with head and tail removed

3 cloves of garlic

old bay seasoning

8 sprigs of lemon thyme

2 green spring onions

olive oil

Adobo seasoning

BEER

Clean fish and remove head and tail. Make a slit along belly to backbone the entire length of fish. Make 5-7 slits on both sides of fish to back bone. Dust the entire fish with Adobo and Old Bay seasoning, making sure to get into cavity and slits. Slice garlic cloves 1/8" thick and place one slice in each slit. Remove leaves from lemon thyme and chop green onions. Stuff the herbs into the cavity of the fish. Fire up the charcoal grill and get the grates nice and hot. Coat both sides of the fish with a little olive oil to prevent sticking. Sear both sides for 3-5 minutes per side and move to the side of the fire. Place some presoaked apple chunks on the hot coals and close the grill. Cook for 10-15 min over indirect heat and then serve. It goes well with corn on the cob and grilled asparagus

Amazing! I ended up butterflying them, smearing the inside with a fresh garlic/olive oil paste and doing everything else as instructed. My wife and I had them for dinner - thank you for the recipe.

• 4 weeks later...