Transducer Mounting Plate

Kahuna

I have just purchased a new Humminbird fish finder and have decided to mount the transducer to a mounting board on the transom inorder not to have to put screws directly into the transom. Does anyone have any recomendations as to how to mount the board to the transom. Should I use adhesive only, and what type? Should I use stainless steel screws? Where can I get a good mounting board? Any recomendations would be appreciated. Thank you. :beer:

Is the boat aluminum or glass? Will you be fishing saltwater? Stainless screws will work for most applications. I would coat them and the back of the board with 3m 5200 when you install it. Wipe the excess clean with a rag with mineral spirits on it when. It gets sucked down to the transom.

If its an aluminum. Boat and you were fishing saltwater I personally would skip the stainless fasteners and go with aluminum closed end rivets, or epoxy it on without fasteners.

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

What Tom said! Same material.

I used the sratboard material. I Used 5200 Marine Sealant to attach it to the transom. Also, for reassuring measures, I tappered a hole and and predrilled. Put two screws right through it and Sealed the holes shut. This material is great and the 5200 alone would of been fine. Good luck

• 1 year later...

I've had mine for about 12 years (Cabela's ) and it has worked out great for changing out transducers when you get a new one. Two original screw holes filled with marine adhesive and never a problem and I can mark bottom at 40- 50 mph. The two holes can be filled and gel coated if I ever decide to sell the boat and those2 holes and the one for my depth finder wires are the only ones ever drilled in the boat (other than the kicker mount).....everything else is "detachable".

post-145411-0-80447400-1393353073_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

Google sternsaver!!! Its the way to go. ALWAYS AVOID DRILLING HOLES IN THE HULL OF YOUR BOAT IF YOU CAN !!!!!!!  Last spring I had to install 2 ducers to "new to me pennyan" .Very happy with result.