Why does this happen?

We were out today for the first time this year (5/6) and while we heard the fishing was great, thought we'd give it a shot. Boy were we glad we made the trip up. However, I want to know why this happens: we had a few good rips on the wire and braid dipseys and thought we were locked in, and to my surprise after a few seconds and runs the fish becomes unbuttoned. They felt look good fish and thought there was a good hook set, boom, gone. Why does this happen? Thanks for your advise.

Tony (slapshot)

cant get them all , dont beat yourself up wondering why , it happens ....check your hooks make sure they are sharp but , sometimes the line spins around and the hook just pops out

million dollar question..........................sharp hooks ????? real sharp

drag toooooooooo loose ......................some people lioke the 400 ft run but when the fish turns .........nuttin there..

as the fish is running give the rod a couple good hook sets not a" vandam" bass tourny set......if it ant set good and gets off on the gentle set it would probly get off after the turn and ya ant gott retrive 500 ft line

make shure the dypsy "trigger" is gentle or soft release when it trips ,when it trips it flips over and allows for a better hookset with just the trippin action then a freaked out fish might do the rest ...................

then the final answer ''''''''''''''''some days they just ant in the agressive mode,maybe something about yer set up has em just a tad spooky so they dont "go for it hard"..

also as we all know it musta been a 40lbr cause the BIG ONES always get off....

hope my ideas help ya

Speed speed speed ,leaderlength,,,,spinny to fly length ?????????

A couple reasons. One, the hook only grabbed a small piece of flesh and tore out. I am starting to move away from Owner cutting trebles and have had better luck with just a traditional hook point but still to early to tell if this helps. Two, the fish are in the nippy mode, again only hooking themselves with just a little bit of tissue. The initial thrashing of the head when a dipsy rip happens is extemely violent, followed by the fish turning and burning with the hook pulling in the opposite direction it entered the tissue. A lot of luck is involved in getting a mature salmon to net. With experience you will make your own luck percentages go up, but somedays we all get the dropsys. I will disagree with Ray on this one......I don't recommend setting the hook with no stretch braid or wire as the initial strike and run is plenty of pressure to put the hook in place. Setting the hook is only going to potentially open a bigger hole around the hook IMO. I generally loosen the drag during the initial run to lessen the pressure on the hook and allow the fish to tire while getting centered in the spread behind the boat away from other lines. Experiment for yourself.

Thanks for all your input. It just amazes me that a hit could be so strong, peel off some line and then be gone. I guess we need to spend more time on the lake. Thanks and good to all fishing the LOC.

Tony (Slapshot)

• 3 weeks later...

Most of my years fishing my landing rate on dipseys has been about 25%. I always thought it was do to the rediculous item " Big disc with lead in it" between you and the fish and that the fish could use it as leverage during thrashing. This last year our land rate was way better then that probably 75% and the only thing we changed was went from Lure Jenson to walkers and the walkers were black were as in the past always used brite colored Lure Jensons. Don't know if it was a coincidence or the reason.

The first thing I do even before I get the rod out of the holder is back the drag off so that the king can run free. I've found landing percentages went up huge when I started doing this. Let the king do it's initial run to tire out, the last thing you want is a green mature king beside the boat tangling all your other lines. I believe that we sometimes pull a lightly grabbed hook out of the fishes mouth when we are fumbling to get the rod out of the holder so get some good quick release holders such as salties or Scotty Orcas, the backed off drag should help this too. Some guys keep the drag super loose but put the wire in a planer board release to get a good hookset, I have not found that it helps me but may help you. Everyone has there own style that works for them. try some of these tricks and let us know how it works out.

good luck

Matt

I keep my drags tight in the rod holder. No snubbers. Keep a lot of tension on line as you pull the rod out of the holder. Then keep the rod tip up and bent. I don't back off the drag too much unless it's a monster making a run...and I feel I'm at the breaking point of the line. I use light action dipsey rods with a lot of flex. So they take a lot of the stress.

[ Post made via iPhone ] iPhone.png

i think they DO grab the flashers and dipsies once in a while. also snubbers helped my hookup ratio. everybody seems to have different opinions and stratagies that work for them. you may have to experiment. to boat 6 kings out of 11 hookups is about regular numbers for my boat for half day in august. usually about 50 percent hookup ratio give or take depending on mine and the fish's mood...thats using stupid sharp hooks and keeping my drag just tight enough so that 14lb test line doesnt break. dipsies get bored sometimes and just decide to go for a quick ride i think. it can be frustrating. if you are having alot of short bites use a stinger hook or troll faster. more often then not, trout and salmon commit to your bait if they have to chase it. so if they are looking and short striking, try speeding up. if they stop looking and chasing then slow back down and change baits or colors. as well, single hooks work better for me over trebles. the fish i do land with trebles are usually bleeding all over and would have gotten off if they werent triple gaff'ed

I run snubbers and they seem to help.... but like the guys said you cant catch em all!!!!

When you have 400 foot of line out there is 400 foot of play you have to deal with. So when the fish turn or make crazy moves it takes longer to pick the line up. I think with those big runs the water can create a lot of drag on the line also, just adding to the chances of the hook pullin.