Musky fishing on the St Lawrence....

Heading up to the St Lawrence river near Alexandria Bay next month, question I have regarding musky fishing, can you catch them in June? Where do you go for them? Do you have to troll for them? We throw Stick baits all day long and catch Pike, just never a Musky. It seems everything i ever hear it's the Fall when they are caught, but cmon, they must be eating all the time to get as big as they are....Anyone have any tips they can offer?

Late June & early July we always did better night fishing for muskies. Not at Alexander Bay ,but down river to Ogdensburg,NY.Just downstream from the Ogdensburg Marina is the Odgensburg Bar,we would bounce Hellbender Waterdogs along the bar bottom.Also Red October Tubes in White color bounced accross the bar would be a good choice.Over the years many very big muskies have been caught off the Ogdensburg Bar!

Capt. Larry

When are you going? The musky season doesn't open till the 3rd saturday so it could be a moot point. Otherwise, as I understand it, the fish from a bay towards the lake tend to be migratory and follow the bait out into the lake, following it back in come fall. Thus down river is a better area in summer as capt larry and others mentioned.

[ Post made via BlackBerry ] BlackBerry.png

Nitro Musky is correct. Although an occasional musky is caught in the Alex Bay area in the summer it is nothing I would attempt to target. I've fished here regularly for nearly 40 years and have only caught a handful. Late fall is when the guides target them and they do troll for them. Better off targeting pike , walleye or bass if they are in season.