Conesus - NOT GOOD OPENER - What about others

I managed one Pike and one Bass using Shiners on the South End. Had TONS of bites Sunday AM, but they would not take the shiner for more than a min. They would hit, bobber gone and then right back up, like 8 times!!!

Tried a couple hours of trolling Friday Night. NADDA.

Sunday trolled on the way back from 10AM-Noon outside the docks with deep divers - NADDA.

Tried Bullhead in the inlet on Sunday w/worms. NADDA.

Got to be this Monster Moon. Worse Opening Weekend EVER at Conesus.

What about others? Silver? Conesus?

Try using a bait runner reel or opening up your drag....very possible the fish is picking up your bait, feeling tension and dropping it. If your not using Bait runner reels just loosen your drag so it's easy to peel line....the fish will pick the bait up and not feel any tension, then they will be less inclined to drop it.

Try using a bait runner reel or opening up your drag....very possible the fish is picking up your bait, feeling tension and dropping it. If your not using Bait runner reels just loosen your drag so it's easy to peel line....the fish will pick the bait up and not feel any tension, then they will be less inclined to drop it.

I suggest using a smaller bobber. I go really light. It will only take an extra 1/8 - 3/8 oz to dip the bobber below the surface. Fresh shiners may be able to run it around and dip it below the surface but they won't forever. Once they tire of trying to drag it down is when you should get the hits.

I did not miss much by not going to Conesus for the opener. But then again I drove 1 1/2 hours to Barcelona Harbor went out in the bright super moon night to only catch 3 walleye between the two of us. I should have went back to Coneautt Lake and caught 3 more purebred muskies.See everyone Wednesday at the NY Muskies Inc. Chapter meeting.

Or you could try without a bobber. Let the minnow swim on his own and open the bail.......no resistance. I often get 'em this way on Conesus. Note: watch for birds if the minnow stays on the surface. Bad things can happen :o Caught this nice one on Saturday with a large swim bait bouncing along the bottom. Good luck!

Pike1_Conesus_5_7_12.jpg

x2 on the bait runners. Okuma makes a nice bait runner reel. I use them in Florida and they work awesome!

• 2 weeks later...

x2 on the bait runners. Okuma makes a nice bait runner reel. I use them in Florida and they work awesome!

I prefer the shimano to the okuma baitrunners, but Okumas are fine for the money. :yes:

Was there Sunday also, 2nd boat in at dark thirty. When we pulled the boat out at 1 we had to wait in a floating line for almost an hour. The lot was full and I bet there were 15 boats waiting to launch, crazy busy. Pike were definitely in follow mode, hit 1 30 incher and a couple bass Saturday and 2 little tigers, a 4+lb large mouth and 5 gangster bullhead that wanted to kill my 6in grandma and perch flat rap on Sunday. Water at 60 sat am and surface temp at 67+ when we left Sunday.

5 gangster bullhead that wanted to kill my 6in grandma and perch flat rap on Sunday. Water at 60 sat am and surface temp at 67+ when we left Sunday.

That is so funny about those gangster bullhead! Had the same issue throwing my 6" LEO!

5a54824e.jpg

Never seen something like that before but I must have had at least half dozen bull head follows.... haha.

The Bulls in Conesus act more like Cats. I caught some 14 inchers this spring. Very aggressive and a lot of fat. I ate a couple last night for dinner - very tasty too!

It is funny that they are following lures. Channels can be caught trolling. Next time those bulls run after your lures, throw a few green pumpkin (with or without flake) soft baits at them. I have had them be aggressive with me before while bass fishing and they short strike but they definitely strike.

They must be pretty territorial this time of year, they were like bass guarding a bed. Absolutely hammered those baits, t-boned, half inhaled, anyway they could get them in their mouths. All were caught in the same area twitching stickbaits and all were BIG bullheads, 12-14 inchers for sure. They may have been bigger than one of the tigers we caught that am!! lol. Only one we had follow chased in a bucktail. If you want big bullheads, throw musky lures!!! I can see the In fisherman article now, "Bulldawgs for Slob Bullheads".