We launch out of Gullys in Newburgh, it's $15 to launch and can get crowded and crazy, a lot of city folk that aren't too kind or patient... later in the season (aka now) when you get more speedboats and jet skis it can get realllly nasty.

Nick

We bobbed around for about 45min in a cluster gaggle trying to get off the water but it was worth it. Newburgh is well known for it's crime and the not so good side of town is right there. Here is a picture of our cluster gaggle.

striperboatlaunchclusterg_n.jpg

LOL good god, the best is when you have 2 or 3 guys that dont know how to back down a trailer and all they do is jack knife it for 15 minutes. Makes me wann arip em outta the car and back it down myself. Newburgh is always a Hole. Come 20 miles more North. You will be pleasantly surprised with the launches and alot less "City Folk". I am headed out today. I saw a picture of a 53 lber. Caught a few days ago, a buddy of mine caught 4 stripers yesterday and one still had very tight eggs in her (18lber) so she wasnt close to spawning which is good. There has been some active rolling going on for the past week or so, I would say the next week is going to be good then start dying off as they start heading back to the salt. Get em while the getting is good. GOod luck all.

Out here now, fish are biting we are like 3 for 15 though, just cant get the hook set, one was a decent size we lost after a good fight, everything else has been small.

Nick

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

Nick,

I hope you ditched the circles and opted for the Octipusses. On the light biters I was easing the rod out of the holder, then waiting for a nice bend in 7' 6" downrigger rods then sweeping rather than hard hooksetting. I caught 2 of the larger ones that were playing with it like you'ld think it's a small one. You never know. Good luck out there.

Jay,

I'm thinking of trying staying at Norrie state park. Looks to be 2 miles south of Kingston. Do you know if the Bood worm program works that far north. My hunch is that it would.

2012-05-12_12-53-38_728.jpg

Stripers are in full gear, but the people at the ramp were so obnoxious today I'm done. Bringing the boat up to the lake next weekend and back to where fishermen help eachother!

Nick

Bob are they deep or in Skinny??? We are goign to be trolling today outta kingston.

Just got an up to date report that there is a huge pod of fish workign south.

In the morning they were over 40fow, afternoon over 30fow, never fished bloods deeper than 20ft.

Nick

Nick,

I hope you ditched the circles and opted for the Octipusses. On the light biters I was easing the rod out of the holder, then waiting for a nice bend in 7' 6" downrigger rods then sweeping rather than hard hooksetting. I caught 2 of the larger ones that were playing with it like you'ld think it's a small one. You never know. Good luck out there.

Jay,

I'm thinking of trying staying at Norrie state park. Looks to be 2 miles south of Kingston. Do you know if the Bood worm program works that far north. My hunch is that it would.

Tried three different types of hooks today and still went about 5 for 20. May just be real small fish.

Glad you caught some nice fish! maybe you don't remember but back in the early days of the eslo derby on the lake it was a nightmare like you just went through and I stopped fishing out there because of it, I sure am glad that its not like that anymore! I notice that the public ramps are not as crowded like they were so maybe the crazies have given up.

Brown_Trout.jpg

Was out this morning and did well. We marked crazy pods of fish in Newburgh. We fished for 4 hours and went 4 for 11. Man some barely even lip the worms and some slam them. Average was 20 pounders with one around 8 pouds. All fish were released unharmed.

I want to go up in a few days with my riggers, what do you guys troll with Plugs, spoons? I saw a guy trolling and he did better then anyone else I saw.

But for the guys up north there were some huge pods moving through. At times my fish finder was completely blotched over all fish around 15'-20' over 40 fow

Stick baits - Challenger, Yo Zuri, Rapalas and some smith wicks work well. Hottest color for us this year has been the perch and Hot Steel. But all of your normal colors should produce as well. Clown, Perch, Hot Steel, Blue and Silvers, and Original rapala color (Gold). Run them back 35-45 behind the ball and try to keep it at 2.5 MPH With the current the other day when it was ripping, the boat was going 4.8 MPH and the lures would just give alittle action off, always wathc your lures. Run 25 lb FLORO with 4 feet of leader from your main line. They are doing well all over the river right now. Jointed Stick baits have not produced as well this year for us as years past. And smelly jelly in the herring flavor is a must. Hope this helps out. I live 4 m inutes away from the River in Kingston so I am always around there. I have my eye on a new boat from someone on this site so hopefully next season I will be out there with it and not jumping on my old Pen Yann that I sold to a buddy lol. We had a triple on the other day trolling. One got off, I landed mine which was a 14 lb male and my buddy landed his which was a 23 lb female. (Released to spawn). The fiancee hit it up with me yesterday and she got her best striper thus far and that was a 19 lb female which took a chunk herring. They are out there right now. GET EM

buckboardjr , Not sure about the state park. We were nailing them right in front of Gully's and drifting to Plum Point. Im going again Fri afternoon to try trolling with the riggers then taking my boy and his pal out early Sat. morning.

Thanks again buckboardjr. The info you shared with me really paid off for me today. I fished with my brother-in-law Paul today in the Hudson River at Newburgh, We had the best day ever. We hooked in to 18 Stripers and boated 15, releasing 13, most were between 21 " and 29 " all were Males. We went in at 10:30 A.M. and were done by 2:30 P.M. , ran out of bait . All were taken on drifted worms . weather was great , river condition was calm . We had a ball. Caught in 40 ft. of water 12 ' to 16 ' deep with the hook .

Fished 6 Rods.

Tight Lines

Len :D

Your welcome Len and to give credit where credit is do, we, "Roadhog & Buckboardjr", were taught 95% of that program last year by a guy who is well known on this forum named Ray K. He actually stopped in our town of residence and took us down to Newburgh.Real glad it worked out for you Len. It's these success storys that makes me so happy that this forum exists and that's what drives me to want to share my experiences with others. :clap::yes::beer: WTG Len

Now that the big fish are here, drift through the pods with 5the live herring (as long as you have a friend on board) you will pick up bigger fish. Make sure your bait runner is set..........a striped bass taking a line herring zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz i live that sound

Sorry so late in getting a post in guys.....been that busy! The fishing has been pretty steady with some really nice fish! Capt. Eric Steel of Mad Sierra Charters & I did a double charter today & had over 50 hookups between the two boats! We only troll with stickbaits so to keep the action means covering ground! We both had big fish day on Monday as i had a 9 yr old lad take a 34 pounder & Eric had a 12 yr old bring in a 51lb slob!!

Three more days to go & back to the lake...keep you all posted!

I fished out Newburgh today was a little slow in the morning but turned on at about 1:30 P.M.to 3:30 P.M/ . Pick up at 4:00 P.M. and headed in , We had 11 Hook ups and boated 9 . All were between 20" to 29 " Drifting worms . Sea conditions calm , water temp. 65 deg. F , Depth of water 40' , hooks at 12' to 15' Did not get a chance to drift Herring yet , not set up in time for this trip. It was an enjoyable day to say the least. Thanks for everyone's help .

Tight Lines

Len

DSC00937.jpg