Len, I was there Sat. too and did nothing. We hit the water around 5am and trolled way down then about 2 miles past the bridge. All we caught was a little guy. Saw a few being caught but not many. Of course we packed it in around 1pm and naturally thats when it turned on.. Glad you had a good day, it was a bust for us. We went out friday night as well and fished til dark and didnt catch anything or see much at all. Of course yesterday morning I had guys at the launch tell me it turned on around 8:30 pm right as I loading up. If I didnt do good the monday before I wouldnt go back LOL, I keep missing them. So we gave it one last shot this morning and again didnt do anything. Barely marked any fish at all. I think Im gonna hit Liberty State Park on Friday and see if we can hit a few before they hit the ocean. But the weather in Newburgh was awesome this weekend for sure! Glad you had a good day :yes:

We fished last Thurs. and had a good day , we took a rest on Fri. and fished Sat. also had a good day in the afternoon. I recieved a report that on Fri. they turned on at Noon time. Sat. turned on at 1;30 PM. on the outgoing tide . I am trying to find out which is the best time to fish . Is it with the tides 2 hours before high and 2 hours after , or at Dawn and Dusk . Seems to me we had better luck on the outgoing tide . All comments are welcome , shed some light if you can .

Tight Lines

Len :yes::yes::)

Now that the big fish are here, drift through the pods with 5the live herring (as long as you have a friend on board) you will pick up bigger fish. Make sure your bait runner is set..........a striped bass taking a line herring zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz i live that sound

I know!!!

I am trying to find out which is the best time to fish . Is it with the tides 2 hours before high and 2 hours after , or at Dawn and Dusk . Seems to me we had better luck on the outgoing tide . All comments are welcome , shed some light if you can .

I am no expert having only fished 3 times, but everytime I noticed the fish bite was as fast as the water was. Soon as the tide hit a lull, the bite dropped off.

Seems like you have been putting the time into it. Get some live herring and try that. I wish I was close enough to get back there repeatedly. (3.5hrs one way) I would love to be able to put a lot of time into it. Maybe when the kids are older.

Good luck. Get a 30# cow - post its picture.

Joe

I live a mile from the hudson and would really like to learn how to get out after them. I have a boat for it and everything.

internet can get you started. I chose to charter. I believe charters a great way to sharpen the learning curve, and also rewards the guys who spend countless hours fine tuning their skills. Kinda like taking a college class only you don't fall asleep.

I finally noticed some of the guys posting for the hudson, I can add that I fish out of newburgh about 10 days a season. We use strickly bloods on linecounters with the bait cliker on and bail open with circle hooks. When we hear clicker running we close bails quickly and they really start screaming then! We did 10 fish Tuesday with over 20 bites.I really would like to get some info for trolling for these fish. I tried once with no results. Any techniques for this I would appreciate. Any charters guys out there looking for trolling clients let me know. I will be up sat,Sunday this week.

Roughrider out

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

We fished out of Newburgh today Wed. 23rd. only caught 2 Stripers , by Plum Pt. From 10:00 am. to 3:00 pm.

Upon leaving the ramp the guy behind me said he caught 30 Stripers . I did not see them but thought it to be true. He fished about a half of a mile south of me just south of CORNWALL, Ckeck it out if you are fishing tomorrow. Drifting worms.

Tight Lines

Len ;(

hey ruf not much secret to trollin in the river most use large repella type....troublewith newburgh area is its always (99% of the time) murky. not much visibality head 15 to 20 miles up river and its amazingly clear ...ya hear a lot of trollin reports north of newburgh and i would Guess that has something to do with it ...

Ive had trips oh about 6 to 7 years ago when 60 to 70 fish days were norm (bait),doing simular to you with puttin it in their face many,many quads wer had by us in the good oll days..Ive talked to the pilots who do areal survays of the river and one year they estamated 3 million yup million in the newburgh area that day ....needless to say the fishfinder was solid and a bare hook almost put fish in the boat...that was a 70 plus day :) talk about 2 whiped guys in a boat....the last 5 years went downhill pretty fast after G.E. was not required to restock upwards of a million fish a season due to fish kill in their turbine intakes....20 to 40 fish days can still be had if ya hit the perfect week ;which used to be the 2nd weekend in may...now i watch the water temps make a couple calls to friends and head that way on a days notice...but me bones are gettin old and the roadtrips are gettin costly due to the gas issue 214.3 miles to the launch (approx) :lol: at 9 to 10 mpg through the mountians rt 17 another 40 gal in the boat and 100.00 bait its a pretty expensive fillet of fish...I wish their was a way us once a year guys could get a 10 fish pass to make the trips worth it...hmm common sence .......Heck till about 2 years ago i would of had 20 to 30 trips to lake ontario by now ,and I ant seen the big pond yet this year..and i dont think im the only one who has curtailed their travels....NOW NO MORE HUDSON RIVER REPORTS ITS KILLIN ME !!!!!!! :(

Hi Guys,

Just wrapped up my Hudson Season, as we fish out of the Kingston area & on Sunday the river temp was at 68 degrees & rising, fishing was on fire saturday, but as they can do slowed considerably on Sunday & Monday. Ad an outbreak of water chestnuts with the warmng temps & the trolling can get tough.

As far as questions on timing, no doubt that two hours before & two after high tide tend to be best. Two weeks ago incoming tide bite was better, this week outgoing was better. Time those bites with early morning or late evening & it can be Game on! Always great first thing in the morning when there is much less boat traffic pressuring the fish. This is no lie, this Saturday there was over 150 boats working a two mile stretch of the river called the Esopus Meadows, just south of Kingston. Put that many boats with four riggers a piece in 20 to 40 ft of water & that can def shut the fish off!

As far as tactics, Ray hit it right, Rapalas in size 13 & 18, colors like Hotsteel, Firetiger & purpledescent are always hard to beat. Others like Yozuri blue mackeral, & green firetiger, along with Bomber Long A in same colors will all work. Trolling speed (just as in Lake O') is always crictical...you want the the stick baits to have a nice tight action without rolling over, I tend to troll between 2.8 & 3.2 on my fishhawk with best results. Leads on the outside as far back as 70ft some days & insides as tight as 15ft can work....just keep experimenting until you find the color & lead length they want...it will change day by day, hour by hour.

Here is a couple of pics from our season!

2012_double_charter.jpg

This a double charter group I did with Mad-Sierra Charters.

2012_34_lbr.jpg

This 34 pound female was taken by this 9yr old lad!! He did an incredible job listening & working the fish for over 35 min before we got her in the boat! Capt. Eric Steel of Mad-Sierra took a 51lb hog 20 min before we boated this one, all a week ago Monday!

Well the boat is home now & time to to change things up to to prep for summer Salmon trips! Your soooo right Ray....this year is going to hurt the pocket book making trips back & fourth out to Oswego!

Excellent intel guys, thanks for the heads up Flashpoint , Ray, and the rest of the fellas here. Would of loved to be there 10 years ago but only learned of it about 5 years ago and it is falling off, I noticed alot less fish this year and boats concentrated in one or two spots. Gonna finally get the big boat out after trailer woes 2 weeks ago. I see people trolling newburg to west point but never see them catch anything. Hot area everyone is fishing is cornwall to cold springs lately. I am 110 miles from river in Pa. See some of you at the big lake later in the season. Staying at the Oak 1st. week of august. One more striper run this weekend.

roughrider out.

Thanks for jumpping in Flashpoint . I agree with your view points . Nice to know we are on the right track .

Roughrider : sounded like they did a number on them on Wed. at Cold Springs. For some reason I just did not get down that far. I am sure they were drifting worms .

Tight Lines

Len :yes:

Thank you BS Master and JDM 130 for your words of encouragement on the Striper fishing. I live a little south of Newburgh and have fished from shore picking away at shorts, cats and white bass. I like interacting with the local community and letting my dog get a good swimming workout between bites. I had some guys tell me they saw a shark in the water, which made me immediately want to catch it. If it works out I will post my results here first. Chances are they just didn't want a dog swimming near their baits.

Grifter maybe next year we can hook up and ya can move off shore for some fishing,and yer dog TOTO TOO!

Unless he is too big for my 22 ftr Heck if ya got a safe driveway ill leave my boat and get down their forseveral outings,probly should ask ceelys if they got somewhere to stash the tub for a mounth..hmm why didnt i think of that sooner..?? the gas saved not towing would ofset the bait cost.

Fished Sunday after rainout sat afternoon, landed 7 ,probably 15 hits total till 1pm. Cornwall to cold springs east side of channel all on worms. Trolled for an hour with no luck. All 4 keepers 6 to 8lbs. Grandkids loved it. First fish on my new 1990 grady ! See ya fellas on the big pond.

Roughrider out.

Grifter maybe next year we can hook up and ya can move off shore for some fishing,and yer dog TOTO TOO!

Unless he is too big for my 22 ftr Heck if ya got a safe driveway ill leave my boat and get down their forseveral outings,probly should ask ceelys if they got somewhere to stash the tub for a mounth..hmm why didnt i think of that sooner..?? the gas saved not towing would ofset the bait cost.

Ray you may even want to call gullys... Because it's so early in the season, they used to have really cheap dock prices for a month (that was several years ago that I docked there). There used to be a bayliner dealer a few miles away that you could ask how much to park it (if theyre still open). There's whites marina on the beacon side upriver a bit.