How long will it last?????

Like someone said not seeing very detailed reports from the Wilson area. Oh that's right its tourney time. Why would you right? Goes both ways here

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

I'm pretty sure mine were detailed. I could care less about the event this weekend. Things change overnight! We piss pounded them on a Hawg Wild Saturday and it took one fish on Sunday.

Your initial post about the internet ruining the east end this year is completely ignorant. The droves of boats fishing down there because of the great fishing is helping out in so many ways. These fish weren't put in the lake to run up stream reproduce and rot. They were put in to control a baitfish problem, and it eventually turned into a sport fishery. The lake is big and fish move around by the minute. It's not a stream with sweet spots.

Helping people catch more fish will lead to a greater spotlight on our fishery, because more people will want to come experience it. We have something special here! This does many good things. It drives people to the small communities around the lake, and they benefit through tourism dollars.

Why does there have to be secrets in fishing? Why can't everyone help everyone out? These Kings live for a max of four years. They can't get educated to what we do! They die too fast!

Great Post Rick,

I started fishing in Oswego in 1986 and all the guys up there shared information and helped me to learn and enjoy the great things Lady O has to offer. I for one continue to share with others who are new to our passion. Additionally, since I kinda kick started this discussion, maybe you got the team name correct.LOL. C'mon guys lets all enjoy this great year everywhere on the Lake.

GREAT POST RICH!!!!! If it weren't for the fisherman on this site sharing informtion and answering my questions i would not have the hook up or catch ratio I do. I also would not have spent over 150K in this fishery including a camp, and a big lake boat. No one was born an expert in fishing or any outdoors skills for that matter. it was something they learned and were taught by their Fathers, Grandfathers, freinds, or OTHER FISHERMAN. It is a shame when a simple question is asked concerning the general fishing we are enjoying turns into this. I have wondered this very same question myself "will the KING fishing last all year, or will we have the JUNE transition period where we serach for steelies out deep" I guess we will just have to wait to find out.....................................

It also amazes me that if you look at the people that are having an issue with this are the the same people who at one time or another asked for help :lol:

Like someone said not seeing very detailed reports from the Wilson area. Oh that's right its tourney time. Why would you right? Goes both ways here

I'm pretty sure mine were detailed. I could care less about the event this weekend. Things change overnight! We piss pounded them on a Hawg Wild Saturday and it took one fish on Sunday.

Your initial post about the internet ruining the east end this year is completely ignorant. The droves of boats fishing down there because of the great fishing is helping out in so many ways. These fish weren't put in the lake to run up stream reproduce and rot. They were put in to control a baitfish problem, and it eventually turned into a sport fishery. The lake is big and fish move around by the minute. It's not a stream with sweet spots.

Helping people catch more fish will lead to a greater spotlight on our fishery, because more people will want to come experience it. We have something special here! This does many good things. It drives people to the small communities around the lake, and they benefit through tourism dollars.

Why does there have to be secrets in fishing? Why can't everyone help everyone out? These Kings live for a max of four years. They can't get educated to what we do! They die too fast!

I never said the internet is ruining the east end fishing. I said it is ruining fishing period. Ice fishing, stream fishing etc... You have 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason. So you can listen twice as much as you talk. Since Im being labeled as ignorant since my opinion differs form the "in crowd" I guess I'll act like it. :*

small waters, like the one where I fish for crappie (250 acres) - I try to keep that away from open discussion on the internet. Word got out once, the place turned into a circus for a couple years and the fishery has declined rapidly. The fishing there stunk last year, but seems all the opportunists have given up on it and are looking elsewhere. No more Saturdays with 25 boats. Now there aren't more than 3 or 4 any time I've headed out.

Big water - definitely share!!!! The salmonid fishery is a huge economic engine for the whole south shore and east end. Shout it from the mountaintops and get those folks from outside the area to come up here and spend their $$$ in our neighborhood!!!!

It's an inland sea. There is more water to cover than there will ever be boats to cover it and more fish than will ever be taken, along with fresh replenishment with each year's stocking program. Yes, folks should have to do a little "work" to be successful, but as far as I'm concerned, spending hours on a board like LOU, asking good questions, reading reports and looking for trends - is all homework for before putting the boat in. Once onthe lake, you have to take all you've learned and apply it correctly. Nobody is down there putting fish on the hooks for us. We have to learn to do it right in order to be successful. Me, I've only been fishing the big O for about 4 years now (I'm a Southern Tier/Finger Lakes boy). I've been learning everything I can, most of it from members here and a couple charters I went on. I've finally got a solid program together for spring browns, but still don't have my act together for summer kings. I have tons of info from LOU members to go on, but have lots more work ahead of me before I get to a point where I can consider myself as having put together a good program. So, you see, even with all of the detailed information I read here, it's not as simple as going out to the depth from the report, using the bait in the color from the report and going the speed from the report.

Here's a prime example from last Friday evening of how you can copy someone else's pattern to the letter and still not be successful: I went crappie fishing on a little lake with my wife in my boat and my daughter, her husband and two kids in their boat. I was reeling in fish non-stop on three rods. Nobody else was catching anything. I went ahead and set up everybody with a bobber-jig rig, identical to the one I was using on one of my rods. I continued to catch fish, while everyone else continued to get skunked. I even moved the boat and had everyone fish where I was getting into them - no dice. I have absolutely no clue what was different (no I wasn't spitting on my bait or anything like that), but for some reason it worked for me and nobody else. the same thing goes for salmon fishing. What is working for the guy who posted the report about whacking & stacking for 3 hours straight, might, for some reason known only to the fishing gods, not work for anybody else. Life is strange that way.

Now, with all that out of the way, I feel a need to get back to the OP.... my answer is I hope it keeps up. I wouldn't figure the kings would go back to the west, just to turn around and go east to their spawning streams, but who know about the 2 &3 year olds. They don't need to head east, so they may simply move out deeper and wander around wherever the food goes. As for right now, we get these overcast days with cold fronts to cool the near-shore temps back down, and we could keep seeing great action on everything in <40 FOW. I know that our first 3 fish sunday were kings, and they all hit on flatlines in 30 FOW. Talk about fun while putting out your boards for browns!!!

Like Rick said, everyday is different. You could go out in the afternoon with knowledge of the exact GPS coordinates, depth, speed, lure size and color, direction of travel, lead length, etc. of someone that pounded them in the morning, and still not catch fish. When I read the posts on here, it gets me fired up so all I can think about is the next time I can get out and go fishing. We haven't slaughtered them yet, even with all the detailed reports, but by constantly adapting we've caught fish everytime. I've driven over tons of fish with 42nd and NBK spoons down 40 and back 40, but couldn't get them to hit. The other day we were in 140 FOW and I dropped a rigger from 65' to 130' and hooked up immediately. Thats why this fishing is so awesome. You can follow the reports initially and hope they get you started, but it's up to you to adjust to the changing conditions.

Wow, I ran the DW version the Goldie Hawn / Sister Sledge and did the same - it was hot on Saturday on an outside diver and deathly quiet the hour or two I ran it Sunday. BTW - if that was you we got a little tight to with the orange Riviera boards, I apologize, had a newbie driving while we were doing some change up / catching in the back of the Pursuit walkaround - we shadowed each other heading west for a bit...

I never said the internet is ruining the east end fishing. I said it is ruining fishing period. Ice fishing, stream fishing etc... You have 2 ears and 1 mouth for a reason. So you can listen twice as much as you talk. Since Im being labeled as ignorant since my opinion differs form the "in crowd" I guess I'll act like it. :*

Given people's limited amount of time due to having to work two jobs to pay the bills, and spend time with family, why not make the four hours a week they get to unwind and fish more productive? If they know they can get out there and put a few fish on the line rather than sitting home what's so wrong with that?

In our era the internet teaches us things. Back in the day it was passed down from parents and fellow tribes men. All that changed is the way the message was delivered. To top it off, given some governments deficits, if we can prove to them that stocking these waters leads to buku dollars back into the local economies we have a shot at having this fishery for a long time. That goes for fishing everywhere! Governments wont protect something just to protect it. If they see a financial impact then their eyebrows raise.

Wow, I ran the DW version the Goldie Hawn / Sister Sledge and did the same - it was hot on Saturday on an outside diver and deathly quiet the hour or two I ran it Sunday. BTW - if that was you we got a little tight to with the orange Riviera boards, I apologize, had a newbie driving while we were doing some change up / catching in the back of the Pursuit walkaround - we shadowed each other heading west for a bit...

Sh*t....if I knew it was you I would have taken everything! LMAO No worries dude. Everyone needed to yield at some point in that fleet of fisherman.

.02 cent time.

For the people complaining about more and more people fishing in their area, well all i can say is that, you guys have a phenomenal fishery. I found that out 10+ years ago when i hired captains to take us fishing there and now that i am a boat owner i want to experience it on my own. If a few people in a spot upset you, come fish on a world renowned striped bass fishery literally on my back yard on the Hudson River. On a busy weekend day, you can see 150+ BOATS. ON A RIVER!!!!!!! Dont believe me? I will take you. All because someone wants to catch a bass. Well IMO. GO NUTS. theres a ton of fish in the river, just like in the lake, i have met some of my best friends bysharing sharing information on fishing.

I never said I didn't like it and had no issues Sunday by the power plant with 200 boats working the area. The guy asked how long will it last. I said as long as people stop posting it on the internet. Think about it. Little salmon has a huge charter fleet. 1 boat ( capt, mate, 4 clients ) equals 18 kings in the box times the let's say 20 boats that are booked 5 days a week plus all the weekend guys. That's alot of fish being pulled. Put and take. I GOT IT. I just answered the mans question. Its simply math. Last 10 yrs how many kings per yr are caught on the east end in may. .. not many. Jesus. So like I said it will last until they are gone. I would say by the end of the derby that mass if them will be pretty beat on.

I never said I didn't like it and had no issues Sunday by the power plant with 200 boats working the area. The guy asked how long will it last. I said as long as people stop posting it on the internet. Think about it. Little salmon has a huge charter fleet. 1 boat ( capt, mate, 4 clients ) equals 18 kings in the box times the let's say 20 boats that are booked 5 days a week plus all the weekend guys. That's alot of fish being pulled. Put and take. I GOT IT. I just answered the mans question. Its simply math. Last 10 yrs how many kings per yr are caught on the east end in may. .. not many. Jesus. So like I said it will last until they are gone. I would say by the end of the derby that mass if them will be pretty beat on

I take it you enjoy the fall loc as well? LOL. get over it. I post detailed reports on Cayuga and its never a problem.

RR

I got over it yrs ago. I thought it was explained pretty simple. Sooner or later taking a 1000 of those fish a week from there will slow the fishing down. DOES EVERYONE UNDERSTAND WHAT I MEAN NOW? I understand all the aspects of the fishery and the local economy. Once again the guy asked " HOW LONG WILL IT LAST?" I could care less if there is a million boats out there. Just stay atleast 500 ft off my stern so you don't steal my copper. Why is everyone so quick to jump down the little guys throat? If had big name capt had said what I said everyone would be agreeing with him. Never meant to start trouble. R

I got over it yrs ago. I thought it was explained pretty simple. Sooner or later taking a 1000 of those fish a week from there will slow the fishing down. DOES EVERYONE UNDERSTAND WHAT I MEAN NOW? I understand all the aspects of the fishery and the local economy. Once again the guy asked " HOW LONG WILL IT LAST?" I could care less if there is a million boats out there. Just stay atleast 500 ft off my stern so you don't steal my copper. Why is everyone so quick to jump down the little guys throat? If had big name capt had said what I said everyone would be agreeing with him. Never meant to start trouble. R

Adam,

The number of fish taken out of Lake Ontario every year is a drop in the bucket compared to the number stocked and naturally produced. I would worry more about the trout fisheries. There are a lot less stocked and less natural reproduction. With the fragile state of the alewive population over the past decade or 2, catch and release might just be an added stress to the alewives. Nothing worng with guys going out and beating up some kings and taking some home for a nice meal.

I totally agree with you Gambler. There are so many fish in our lake there is no way we could out fish it, and if we did, well.... that's good news for the alewives.

Compare the fishing effort now to the fishing effort in the late 80s and early 90s. I remember when I was a kid almost every boat docked at Sodus point was either a fishing boat or a charter boat. And the Olcott and Wilson local economies were booming! That's not even counting Little Salmon and Oswego.

And thanks to websites like this, and all the guys on here, for getting the news out about New York's fisheries, and making them bigger and better. I don't mind sharing the fun with others at all, that's what fishing is suspose to be, fun.

I second what jolly said. Back in the 80's there were so many boats at the oak they had to park at the parkway bridge to launch at the north and the fishing was good all year. Boat traffic may affect the bite on given day but with the amount of fish in the lake I do not believe it has any impact over the course of a season.

As someone who used to fish the lake very regularly but now have to pick my spots due to life events I appreciate very much being able to get info on the net that helps me get on the fish quicker allowing me to optimize my time on the water.

As for when the hot fishing will stop, nobody knows. It probably will remain good all year as those kings that are in the east end now will remain however there is almost always a "June swoon" as the lake transitions. Some years it can still be okay fishing at this time and sometimes it can be downright awful.

STEELHEAD'R wrote:

"You don't have to worry about the Rochester paper. The outdoor section is almost non existent for fishing and hunting. It was decent with Floyd King and went downhill since. I'm going to cancel the paper

I will not complain about the lack of fishing/hunting coverage from the Rochester newspaper. Instead I will try to get an article in it about how GREAT the fishing is so far in the 2012 season that is occurring LAKE WIDE. That should make the East end fishing community happy :lipssealed: and resurrect this thread again 2 months from now :call: ! Leo Roth has expanded duties now with the retirement of many senior staff there. Floyd King was many,many years ago, before rock climbing & dog sledding were even popular.

Fred if i cannot get some attention to this lake in an article this summer then i will pay for your tue. & thur paper this fall.

JERRY

REBEL CHARTERS

Oh fer cryin out loud, gimme a break. Don't even start this BS on the lake like it's a freakin stream. It's not like every Tom, Dick, & Harry with a rod & reel is gonna impact the lake fishing. 1. Ya gotta have a boat. 2. Ya gotta have a boat that can handle Lake O. 3. Ya gotta know the ins & outs of how to troll. What type of lure to use, colors, Etc, etc, etc, The list goes on & on. Yeah, there might be a little more boat traffic at first, but it passes once some figure out there's more to it than just wetting a line & trying to snag a fish.

Get out there & have fun.

Oh fer cryin out loud, gimme a break. Don't even start this BS on the lake like it's a freakin stream. It's not like every Tom, Dick, & Harry with a rod & reel is gonna impact the lake fishing. 1. Ya gotta have a boat. 2. Ya gotta have a boat that can handle Lake O. 3. Ya gotta know the ins & outs of how to troll. What type of lure to use, colors, Etc, etc, etc, The list goes on & on. Yeah, there might be a little more boat traffic at first, but it passes once some figure out there's more to it than just wetting a line & trying to snag a fish.

Get out there & have fun.

Now we did it. We woke up Bob. :D